Strange steering/suspension/acceleration issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gespo04

Reaction score
Hello again JeepKJ users, I've been experiencing a very unique instability issue with my 2003 Liberty when going at highway speeds. The symptoms are as follows:

• When coasting at highway speeds, and I accelerate, the car jerks to the right
  • When cruising at highway speeds, and I take my foot off the gas, the car jerks to the left
Now, I've taken a cursory glance under the car to see if there was any obvious catastrophic failure going on, and nothing seems obviously wrong except for a few old bushings. I plan on doing the OME lift kit, and replacing some suspension bushings but I honestly can't tell if my weird instability issue would even be fixed by doing that. It seems to be more of an engine/steering issue than a suspension issue. Any thoughts?

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is the rear upper control arm looking ?
How about the lower arms in the rear as well?

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like rear lower control arm. When the bushings go bad that's what happens. Many of the rear lower control arms are covered under a recall, so that's worth checking. Take a look at them and think about how your Jeep would react if was sloppy and it all makes sense. If my brain is working correctly this morning I suspect the right one.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely the sign of cracked or worn out bushings in the rear lower control arms.
Basically the slop in the bushings is causing the differential to shift a bit, not good.
Call any dealer with you VIN number to see if the recall of the LCA arms has been performed.
In my case I kept the original LCA arms that came with my jeep, & bought new Spicer bushings, well before any recall.
It was discovered that the axle side bushings had relief slot/ cuts in the bushing, so I filled the slots in with windshield urethane, allowed to cure for 3 days.
I then had them pressed in with a 30 ton press. Many years later the the problem has not returned.
You must be registered for see images attach

Members online

No members online now.