Strange starting problem when cold weather ..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KalleXX

Reaction score
Hello!

My CRD is not behaving nicely during cold startup:blah:...
I have a heater installed and it is not an engine block type. Instead, it is connected to a cooling water hose!
When the heater is on (for an hour or so), the Libby has severe starting problems. It takes about 10-20 engine revs before it starts. When it starts, it often has a kind of rattling behavior (low revs, shaking).

When the heater is NOT on, it starts perfectly every time.

Cold means temperatures below 0 degree Celcius (32 degree Fahrenheit).

I am suspecting this:hmm:: The heater fools the temperature sensor (that is measuring the cooling water temperature), but the rest of the engine is cold. The glow plugs are not started, since the temp sensor signals a warm engine!

What do you think is causing this problem?

KalleXX

Last edited:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello!

My CRD is not behaving nicely during cold startup:blah:...
I have a heater installed and it is not an engine block type. Instead, it is connected to a cooling water hose!
When the heater is on (for an hour or so), the Libby has severe starting problems. It takes about 10-20 engine revs before it starts. When it starts, it often has a kind of rattling behavior (low revs, shaking).

When the heater is NOT on, it starts perfectly every time.

Cold means temperatures below 0 degree Celcius (32 degree Fahrenheit).

I am suspecting this:hmm:: The heater fools the temperature sensor (that is measuring the cooling water temperature), but the rest of the engine is cold. The glow plugs are not started, since the temp sensor signals a warm engine!

What do you think is causing this problem?

KalleXX

Well if it starts perfectly when the water heater is not on then why use the heater?:shrug:

You are probably correct that the warm water fools the temp sensor so the glow plugs are not activated as long as they should be.

What glow plugs are you using?

KalleXX

Reaction score
Well if it starts perfectly when the water heater is not on then why use the heater?:shrug:

You are probably correct that the warm water fools the temp sensor so the glow plugs are not activated as long as they should be.

What glow plugs are you using?

Hi!

Tank you. The engine heater plug is also connected to the cab heater. It defrost the interior so nice. Glow plugs, I need to check and come back.

Anyhow, it was an authorized dealership that installed the engine heater. Perhaps they did not know how to install the heater correctly ... :emotions34:

/KalleXX