Strange clicking noise in front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Java

Reaction score
Hello,

I had this clicking and grinding noise in my Jeep near the front left axle area. I had the left front axle replaced and the noise was still there. Then I was told it was a transfer case issue, so I had the transfer case replaced about 2 weeks ago. I engaged 4 HI right after that and the noise appeared to be gone. So today I engaged 4 HI just to see if any noise appeared and it did. It sounds like a clicking noise every time the axle rotates. Keep in mind this test was done on just wet pavement not on snow. When in regular mode ( rear wheel drive only ) there is no clicking noise. When I did the 4 HI test I only drove about 200 feet and at about 5 MPH. Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks,
Jim
Jeep 02 Liberty Sport 4 x 4
Automatic
3.7 L V6
4 Hi + 4 LO as a separate shifter on center console

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Does accelerating effect it? Could be a bad CV on front drive shaft.

Java

Reaction score
Does accelerating effect it? Could be a bad CV on front drive shaft.

Actually I am afraid to drive it over say 10 MPH. I have read many things including what you have said. It sounds like metal clicking past some other metal part. Also if I get it on a lift and have someone engage 4HI would this be the best way to localize the problem?

Thanks,
Jim

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Bad passenger CV and intermediate shaft, is what it sounds like.
You could also check out the transfer case end of the front driveshaft... make sure the boot is not leaking grease or anything.

Last edited:

jimbrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad left CV and intermediate shaft, is what it sounds like.
You could also check out the transfer case end of the front driveshaft... make sure the boot is not leaking grease or anything.

Yes, X2. This just happened to me. Same noise you describe. Get a towel, blanket or canvas down on the ground near the T case and get under the vehicle and look at the CV joint. I bet its blown. Blown CV will look like this.

You must be registered for see images

When you drive in part time 4WD on surfaces that provide lots of traction (paved road) the driveline will become binded and components of the driveline will have lots of stress put on them and blow up. I learned this the hard way, perhaps you did too...

Take it to your mechanic or if you have the mechanical ability, you can rebuild the prop shaft your self...

Tcase chain might be in trouble too....

Java

Reaction score
I read this just now. I want to thank you for possibly solving this mystery. I had the transfer case replaced about 2 weeks ago. And today I brought my Jeep to have a complete brake job done. The noise is still there. So it is not the brakes which you most likely already know. I will run all this buy a mechanic who heard the noise today as well. It is a weird noise to describe. It sounds like clicking and also like a branch from a tree cracking. I hope I didn't somehow ruin the transfer case again.

Jim

jimbrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read this just now. I want to thank you for possibly solving this mystery. I had the transfer case replaced about 2 weeks ago. And today I brought my Jeep to have a complete brake job done. The noise is still there. So it is not the brakes which you most likely already know. I will run all this buy a mechanic who heard the noise today as well. It is a weird noise to describe. It sounds like clicking and also like a branch from a tree cracking. I hope I didn't somehow ruin the transfer case again.

Jim

In what gear is your T-case in/been in since the rebuild/new case? If you have been driving around with it in 4WD on paved roads, it is most likely front driveshaft CV that blew up...That happened to me while driving in 4wd on paved surfaces and many other KJ'ers...

Just look at it with a flashlight and you will see if it is blown. If not, check the other CV's...shine flashlight on em and see if boot is torn and if grease is spilt near the joint...

Java

Reaction score
In what gear is your T-case in/been in since the rebuild/new case? If you have been driving around with it in 4WD on paved roads, it is most likely front driveshaft CV that blew up...That happened to me while driving in 4wd on paved surfaces and many other KJ'ers...

Just look at it with a flashlight and you will see if it is blown. If not, check the other CV's...shine flashlight on em and see if boot is torn and if grease is spilt near the joint...

I always drive in 2HI. But I have only driven my Jeep in 4HI maybe 200 feet in one parking lot ( two days ago)and maybe 300 feet in another (today). I believe the transfer case was never the issue, and I wasted money to have it replaced. But in the past I may have driven my Jeep in 4HI for more than 30 miles on dry pavement. I never noticed any of these noises until we had a Blizzard in Feb 2013 and decided to engage 4HI to get thru some slick spots. The last time I put it in 4HI may have been 2 years ago. So prior to Feb 2013 there may have been the clicking the noise present, I do not know either way. But the blizzard certainly revealed the problem.

Jim

Last edited:

jimbrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always drive in 2HI. But I have only driven my Jeep in 4HI maybe 200 feet in one parking lot ( two days ago)and maybe 300 feet in another (today). I believe the transfer case was never the issue, and I wasted money to have it replaced. But in the past I may have driven my Jeep in 4HI for more than 30 miles on dry pavement. I never noticed any of these noises until we had a Blizzard in Feb 2013 and decided to engage 4HI to get thru some slick spots. The last time I put it in 4HI may have been 2 years ago. So prior to Feb 2013 there may have been the clicking the noise present, I do not know either way. But the blizzard certainly revealed the problem.

Jim

Thats when mine blew up...durring that blizzard back a few weeks ago. Side streets were still wet so I had it in 4wd but major parkways were mostly dry..It blew on a main highway...Sounded like a musket went off when it blew...

Here is what mine sounded like after it blew
2013-02-11 13-10-11 524 on Vimeo

Java

Reaction score
Thats when mine blew up...durring that blizzard back a few weeks ago. Side streets were still wet so I had it in 4wd but major parkways were mostly dry..It blew on a main highway...Sounded like a musket went off when it blew...

Here is what mine sounded like after it blew
2013-02-11 13-10-11 524 on Vimeo

Jim,

Mine never made any noise, I mean some loud noise. Maybe it is not as severe? When the mechanic finished the brake job today we both got in my Jeep engaged it in 4HI and we both heard nothing. Then after he got out I stayed in their parking lot and tried some different things like forward and reverse, turns ect all at very slow speeds. I then heard the noise. He then got back in the Jeep and I did the various tests again and this time he heard it. But maybe like you are saying it still is the front prop shaft. He said bring it in again when he has more time to get it on a lift with some electronic ears to pinpoint it better, if not visually.

Just to give you an update. The problem seems to be the rear cv joint of the front drive shaft. The mechanic could look inside the joint and see some damage. I guess from here, I can go new, rebuilt , salvage , rear cv joint of front drive shaft kit. The overall problem is very difficult to reveal though. The only one who can get the clicking noise to appear is me. The mechanic could not get the clicking noise to emerge when he tried this morning.

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited:

Java

Reaction score
Jim,

Mine never made any noise, I mean some loud noise. Maybe it is not as severe? When the mechanic finished the brake job today we both got in my Jeep engaged it in 4HI and we both heard nothing. Then after he got out I stayed in their parking lot and tried some different things like forward and reverse, turns ect all at very slow speeds. I then heard the noise. He then got back in the Jeep and I did the various tests again and this time he heard it. But maybe like you are saying it still is the front prop shaft. He said bring it in again when he has more time to get it on a lift with some electronic ears to pinpoint it better, if not visually.

Just to give you an update. The problem seems to be the rear cv joint of the front drive shaft. The mechanic could look inside the joint and see some damage. I guess from here, I can go new, rebuilt , salvage , rear cv joint of front drive shaft kit. The overall problem is very difficult to reveal though. The only one who can get the clicking noise to appear is me. The mechanic could not get the clicking noise to emerge when he tried this morning.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim one more question is the front drive shaft for my Jeep 30" or 32.5" ? Is there a way to tell besides going to the dealer with Vin #?

Latest posts

Members online