Stock Goodyear Wrangler ST

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but are the stock Renegade tires really that terrible; enough to be hazardous and unsafe (my actual question)?

What concerns me is I've noticed my KJ's tires screech much more than my previous sedan over just little things. My KJ fishtails a little when turning a corner some times, and when I accelerate too hard up a hill the KJ almost sits in once place while the wheels spin (embarrassing).

Until now I've only owned sedans so I don't know jack about driving larger vehicles...basically, I'm trying to determine if I should calm down on my driving habits or just completely blame the awful tires.

I mean I'm sure I'm not the only person in the world with stock tires and a heavy foot on the gas... but I'm a little spooked with the icy season here. Anyone have these same experiences; wish to share some wisdom? Should I worry?

2003KJ

Reaction score
Blame the tires. The KJ is an exceptionally good handleing vehicle, for an SUV. I just got the stockers replaced (looked like racing slicks....and only at 28K), and i've noticed a HUGE difference.

This morning for example....there's probably a quarter inch of ice on the roads and trees and everything....they did flat out awesome! With the stocks, I'd be stuck on my FLAT DRIVEWAY.

So to answer your question if they are unsafe or not, my opinion, yes they are very unsafe. In dry weather maybe they're OK, but rain, snow, ice, and anything else they're flat out dangerous. So if you can afford a good set of tires, i'd say get them.....if not, easing off the go pedal certainly does help.

pixeldzn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agreed. I noticed a 300% difference with my Firestones. I can't break it loose if i try on wet pavement anymore.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation, guys. I knew it had to be the tires because I know I'm not an agressive driver.

It's just that I got a lot of crap from the elder generation telling me I'm fairly young, too heavy on the gas, and "not driving an SUV properly"; sterotyping me and I find that unpleasant. [-(

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My attitude may change with bare roads and a little wear but I have had no problem with mine so far. I do keep reading the cautions and bad reports here with interest though so I keep expecting the worse.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
The stockers are good, on dry optimal weather. when it get's wet. forget it.

back then, i used to drive really slow when it was raining, cuz, anything faster, it really felt unstable. braking was horrible, skidding was real easy, as is fishtailing it, and spinning the wheels with a heavy foot. I knew they were bad, but after replacing them with the Destinations, it was THAT BAD. the softer sidewalls on the stock tires made the thign handle worse than it should.
it didnt hold corners too well, and you did hear squeeling even at lower speeds.

my suggestion to all those that have stockers, invest in new tires, it makes that much of a difference, and it will even make driving your KJ that much more pleasurable.

put it this way, the recent 6" of snow we had here recently, i put the thing in 4-hi, probably half the time less compared to when I had the stockers....
the first oh I dont know, 5-8k maybe "fine" but, I think beyond that......

if you go to tire rack, and look at the ratings the stock tires are given, as opposed to the popular brands being mentioned (revo's, destinations, bfg's) it's maybe 1.5 to 2 times better in all categories

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good analysis, JoN. It's exactly what I feel like I'm going through with the stocks. Next time I get a chance to visit the AAFES Car Center, I'll see if I can put in a special order for Firestones. Who knows? I may even get free shipping and discounts. O:)

I guess I'm slipping more these days because the morning fog here makes the roads sort of frosty in this cold weather.

It's hard to believe they put such terrible stock tires on a Jeep.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know everyone is a fan of the Destination A/T's but I really don't care for them. You can see my post in the review's section. They are not bad for the price and better than the stock goodyears, but no better than some no-name A/T I had on my CJ along with some Wilderness A/T I had on my XJ. Next time I will go with the Revo's or the BFG A/Ts. I guess you get what you pay for sometimes.

Latest posts

Members online