Stereo Power Harness Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be upgrading the Stereo before the big trip in Feb. I am looking to get a unit with an external Aux Input. I can pick up a refurb with an Aux Input off eBay for a good price. Though I honestly would like to put in a newer Factory Unit from the 08's on up. I know the harness connectors are different so my question before I just go with the refurb unit is: Is there an adapter out there to hook up a newer Factory Unit or am I SOL? I thought thought about one of those cool looking Chinese Radios but I have the gut feeling not to go with one because it looks like it would just fail at any moment after installation.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The OEM is a 1.5 DIN no adapter plates available so many will go double DIn then,
and the after market like the one I installed is a single DIN which came with wiring harness.
Why would you want a refirb unit when even new one are cheap these days?
BTW Crutchfield gives you plate & wiring/ant adapter all in..
Jeep Liberty Audio
There some good info on my install for sure...check it out..help answer a lot of question that I sure had...now I am rocking..to the music !!!
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f201/recommendations-upgrading-my-stereo-kj-55995/
Hope this helps....

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really odd about things, in truth I've never dealt with aftermarket units I've always stuck to factory. This is the first time in a long LONG time I have had a stock unit that is as I call a Eunice, its practically worthless. Normally I don't listen to radio stations due to the excessive amount of commercials. I only get like five minutes of music if I'm lucky to and from my commute of about twenty minutes. So with my previous two vehicles I either had in dash 6 cd players that could play burned MP3 discs or an external auxiliary jack since I'm also big on audio books when I drive. I've been through the thread you have mentioned though honestly I've been kind of wanting to get to my roots of just being simple, its one reason why I love my Libby so much. I went from a spot luxury sedan to a simple SUV and honestly I couldn't really be happier especially since I can row my own gears with a clutch pedal. That's why I was thinking the refurb unit with an added aux jack since it would be a less than five minute swap. I actually timed myself on removing the radio from the dash the other day. I of course learned the hard way Mopar Stereos are different from others with their antenna jacks when I went to install my FM Modulator. (If anybody says they don't work, they're full of it. I had a real nice one in my Focus with an antenna mod, FM modulator with a shorty antenna, on my Grandparents Hill I was getting radio stations nearly 200 miles away.)

Whats funny is not long after I posted I had found a harness adapter to go to the newer units only headache is I was looking at the one aftermarket Bezel to do D Dins and I think the newer factory units are wider than that Bezel so I think I can rule out that for sure. Scratch that, so I may got with an aftermarket D Din yet but I'm being a little picky and want an external aux jack. So I can load what I want on my phone and just go when I take the big road trip. (Annoy the wife with Audio Books) But that thread is inspiration and I have time but I will look to that for further advice and will post my work once I have made a decision on what I want.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very similar to the Chinese Units that have me nervous, though if there are those who are running them that would like to chime in and perhaps calm my fears I would love to hear their input. That is a crazy price for such a small unit.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very similar to the Chinese Units that have me nervous, though if there are those who are running them that would like to chime in and perhaps calm my fears I would love to hear their input. That is a crazy price for such a small unit.

Yeah, From my understanding this is what those chinese units are trying to copy and rip off. If I remember correctly the Insane Audio stereos are all Droid powered. I knwo the new JK one they just released is but not sure if this version that fits the KJ's are droid as well.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting at that.

If it was closer to the $499 mark that I think they are worth I'd get one. That price seems a bit high to me though. Just thgouht I'd toss it up as an idea since to some that would be a good price for a stereo. I know the second I put something nice in my Jeep that's the moment someone will break in to it lol