Stereo options 2006 JK Sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spr0k3t

Reaction score
Stereo options 2006 KJ Sport

So I'm new here. I've purchased a 2006 KJ Sport 4WD as an xmas present for my daughter. I haven't picked it up yet to really do much research with it when it comes down to audio... but I can't stand the stock units in most chrysler vehicles. I'm looking to upgrade the audio before she gets the Jeep though and wanted some help.

First things first, my family is heavily into Android. So I picked up this receiver stupid cheap:

Sony XAV-AX5000
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-CRmiXWto2B6/p_158XAV5000/Sony-XAV-AX5000.html

Next up, I'm looking to make sure I get the right speakers and wanting to splurge a little to get the right sound. I personally enjoy anything Techno and most of the genres that fall under that. My daughter is the same, but she also enjoys that noise called scream-o as well as k-pop. So I need something deep and punchy with good midrange depth. However, I haven't had a chance to really get full specs on the correct mounting depths for the door speakers. I've seen 6.75" for the mounting hole, but I'd like to know what the max mount depth as well as the max mount height might be. Do I have room to place a 2" MDF ring between the metal and door plastic? I'm going to make my own MDF rings but need to find out how much room I have total.

Specifically, I'm looking at the Kenwood 7" components for the speakers. The speakers wise, I'm not going to use the location on the dash, instead I'm going to go with a component set and mount the tweeters in the door on the "mast" after making some cuts. Better sound stage than to bounce the audio off the window.

Next up is amplifier location. What is the best spot while keeping everything hidden? Also, since I'm going to run an amp with component speakers, I'm removing the amps in the doors.

Pictures always help.

Here's the 2006 I snagged. It's got less than 80K on the clock.
You must be registered for see images

Looks like I can't post pics yet, so here's the link https://photos.app.goo.gl/zaFfHpXibL5Zac779

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Good luck with it
But I would be addressing the sagged suspension to make it safer for your daughter than worrying about noise

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Solid looking Jeep, nice. But yes, it will need new springs/shocks as a matter of ride comfort and safety. They all do. Literally... every. single. one.

If audio is absolutely where the priorities lie... you should really start checking into mounting options for that HU into the dash. Even if you're an expert at fabrication, that still takes measuring, and time as well. A regular double DIN head unit you buy doesn't just plop in there..

There are of course, the obligatory mounting face adapter plates and all that.. but again, it's not easy peasy picky choosy pop it in and there ya go, not always. You might get lucky. But don't take it for granted.

A lot of the measurements you're looking for can be had from Crutchfield's website as well.. their product prices may be usually up there, but their support and installation info is top notch. I think that we need to use shallow mounting depth speakers in the doors... or maybe that was my other vehicle.. I can't remember.

Good luck.

spr0k3t

Reaction score
I already have the parts for the suspension problems ready to go. I'll be doing the work on that myself. I'm going to bring it back to the stock ride height as she is a new driver (still learning). I'm also replacing the tires, hoses, and brakes before she is able to drive it. Mechanically the car is sound... no leaks at all (I know the previous owner personally). Repairs are pretty easy in this respect.

Fabrication wise, Crutchfield did not have the measurements I need for the top mount height, was really hoping someone would already have that element. So, I'll be doing the fabbing myself, it's not hard... just a pain and takes time. I've gone so far as to build custom door pods as well as built an 8" sub console for an armrest in a 2006 JK. I do know the head unit I picked up will work with the KJ using the metra kit 95-6524B with doing a little modding on the dash, that's not even an issue.

Nevertheless, much appreciated for taking the time.