Steering wheel removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran into a problem. For almost 3 years since I got the jeep, the airbag light would randomly come on. Now after a few months of hearing what sounded to be like wires moving when turning the steering wheel, the air bag light is on and randomly turns off when turning so therefore=had clockspring. My question is, since I will be replacing tomorrow , will a standard steering wheel puller do the trick? I have one and it's not one of those flimsy ones but I've heard some stories about it being tough

Thanks
-Tyler

Also , cruise no longer turns on but horn works. Which is odd but then again not so much being the internal wiring of the clock spring is basically a flat flex cable with separate traces I'm thinking only a few have broken sound correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you disconnect the battery Red lead and lean it against the chassis for 30 minutes to discharge any residual capacitance.

Once you have removed the plastic covers over the steering column and removed the steering boss unplug the airbag connectors and remove the 13 mm bolt holding steering wheel in place.

Use a sharp object to mark the position of the steering wheel on both sides of the spline so you can get the wheel back into its original position.

I used a small two-jaw puller but first placed a large nut over the exposed female thread so that the center of the puller would not damage the exposed thread.

Hopefully your new clock spring comes with a white plastic locking section which holds the assembly in place...once you have fitted the new clock spring you pull this retainer out. Otherwise you have to make sure the clockspring is pre-wound a bit so that a "flag" shows in the clear plastic window on the side...check your existing spring for this "flag" when the steering is straight.

Yes the flat flexible brass traces get brittle with age and only some of them will have developed cracks....I am pretty sure your cruise will work with the new spring!

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember what year yours is. If it's an 02-03, has it been taken in yet for the airbag recall?

Got it all working! Pulled a clockspring from an 05 liberty. Cruise works, airbag light is off now. Thanks! Thread closed-------------

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also wanted to add my steering wheel control buttons now work with my double din radio I installed. Previously I tried a ASWC1 and it wouldn't program. Glad it kept it because now it works. In the event that all of this happened my radio failed so i was able to exchange to a better pioneer (100$ more for only 60$)
You must be registered for see images attach

twixy79

Reaction score
What kind of head unit is that? I want to replace the aftermarket pioneer one they put in because it is hideous...