Steering rack- best one to get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Going to need to do this within a few months. I see that rockauto has 2 main options. Cardone reman and Cardone new. What's the best one to get? I'll probably reuse my existing tie rods since they're Moog and a few months old.

I also need to stock up on balls to attempt installing it myself. :Insane::happy175:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to need to do this within a few months. I see that rockauto has 2 main options. Cardone reman and Cardone new. What's the best one to get? I'll probably reuse my existing tie rods since they're Moog and a few months old.

I also need to stock up on balls to attempt installing it myself. :Insane::happy175:

Can't help you on the last part - you're on your own there :gr_grin:

For the first part, I bought a steering rack from Detroit Axle off eBay (I know, I know... ) but it's been on there a couple of years or so and a bunch of miles and it's been fine. It's a reman that I got for $160 or so with free shipping to me and core return too. (No core charge either.)

The R&R is a bit of a project but if you follow Jayme's husband's How-To over on LOST it's doable. One of the tricks is to remove the hardlines from the rack in order to be able to rotate it into place. You'll know what I mean when you get into it.

Just found the link to the steering rack I bought: Jeep Liberty Steering Rack - Detroit Axle

Bob

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a reman rack from Napa. Has lasted longer than the stock one. It's a labor intensive job, but not all that hard. The biggest issue I had was getting the steering rod / linkage / whateverthehellistcalled back in place.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a napa reman as well, has been holding up great for over a year now.

its a pretty easy job tbh. the how to on here shows removing it from the side, i couldn't get it out that way, but i was able to get it out through the front (unbolted the sway bar bushings to let it swing down, which gave me the clearance to pull it out in the opening just above the sway bar).

an eraser wheel on a drill and a quart of ATF+4 allowed me to purge the pump and lines before connecting them to the new rack.

count the turns to remove your tie rod ends, (or measure with a set of calipers), and you should be able to get the alignment pretty damn close to what it was before the install. then have it aligned at a shop to be 100%.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a Detroit one right from their site based on Bob's recommendation. It's still in the box though :D

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was Napa re-manufactured. I only have about 7000 miles on it so cant attest to the quality just yet.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
It's been awhile but I got the Cardone new from Rock, I believe. Was still great when Eugene went to his new home.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Still doing the research on this- doesn't look like the Napa reman, Cardone new or reman, or Detroit axle ones get real good reviews. Am I overly worried? Any other brands to look at?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, when I replaced the tie rods and took the boots off some fluid came out. Not leaking on the driveway yet and I only have to top off once or twice a year so far. But the driver's side bushing is shot, figured with the amount of work involved may as well replace the whole rack since there's evidence it has seen better days too.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

Attachments

• Energy%20Food.jpg
    Energy%20Food.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Members online