Steering Angle Sensor + ABS + ESP/BAS codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I apologise in advance for this very long post but I am calling for your help here and I am trying to explain my case the best I can.

I've had the ESP/BAS lights + skidding icon lights on my dash for about 1 year now. I was not too worried about it apart for the fact that because of these I lost the cruise control which I like to use on the Motorway. But apart from that I never felt a sneaky reaction of the brakes or in the steering so I was not in a hurry to look into it as I bought a JK Rubicon 2008 and that kept me busy for almost all year.

In August I decided to buy 4 new Speed sensors for my KJ as I was almost sure that they were responsible for my Dash lights.

I removed, cleaned and tested the rear wheel sensors and at my surprise they were both ok on the multimeter.

I tried to do the same with the front wheel sensors but it was impossible to remove them. They were completely seized in the wheel hub and broke when I tried to remove them. So I drilled them out, cleaned the holes and added a little bit of silicone grease at the mouth of the hole to prevent the new ones from seizing again.

Now I had 2 old but working rear wheel speed sensors and 2 new front ones. That didn't change a thing. Still the same lights in the dash.

I read on this great forum that quite often the rear harness that goes from the wheel sensors through the floor under the rear seats to a connector under the carpet could be the cause.

So it took me some time to decide to go ahead with this because I had a similar problem on JK Rubicon that I wanted to sort out first. But last week the JK problem was resolved so I decided to go ahead with my KJ and removed the rear seats. I disconnected the harness from its connector under the carpet and from the wheel sensors. I tested it and there is nothing wrong with the harness !! I then tested each wheel sensors and found out that the rear left was faulty. So happy with myself I replaced that sensor and put the key in the ignition and started the engine. Miracle !! All lights were gone !!

I decided to fit the rear seat back in place and take the Jeep for a spin.

I restarted the engine and as soon as I reversed a couple of meters the ESP/BAS and the skidding icon lights came back ! I then put the first gear in and put my foot on the accelerator in quite a heavy manner and the KJ moved quickly forward for about 10 metres but all of a sudden it was like my left front brake had been activated and the Jeep almost stopped but that brake released by itself and I carried on but now the ABS light was on the Dashboard as well !!

I then drove around my block and back on my drive I checked the connections of both front sensors and they were ok so I tested the sensors with the multimeter and they are good too.

I took the Jeep to a mate who has a Autel Maxidas and here is the list of the DTCs he found.

First reading:
C102A. Stored. Left Rear wheel speed sensor. Comparative performance.
U0429. Stored. Implausible data received from steering control module.
C1219. Stored. Steering Angle Sensor Erratic Performance.
C121C. Stored. Torque request signal denied.

Then I'm not sure what button he pushed on his scanner but here is the:

Second reading:
C2102. Stored. System Voltage Low.
C1219. Active. Steering Angle Sensor Erratic Performance.
C123F. Stored. Steering Angle Sensor comparative performance.
C1240. Stored. Steering Angle Sensor overtravel performance.

He then erased everything after I had taken pictures of each screen and the Last reading shows this:
C1219. Active. Steering Angle Sensor Erratic Performance.

I then concluded that the steering Angle sensor must be faulty but impossible to find that part number on All Data DIY or in the KJ Service Manual. I found a steering Air Bag/Clock spring module (Part no 56010619AG) so I thought that must be the same part but please tell me if I am wrong.

I ordered that part 2 days ago from Moparamerica and was told the following day that this part is not available and Mopar has no ETA for it.

I tried Jeepsareus.com and spoke online to a guy called Jon who told me that part has not been available from Mopar since February 2014 and Mopar has no ETA as when they will supply this part again.

So if someone has got the slightest idea of what is going on here please tell me.

I found on Ebay in UK a second hand Airbag/clock spring Steering module from a KJ but Part number is: 56010146AF.

Do you guys think that would fit mine ? Would you fit a 2nd hand clock spring module in your Jeep ??

Btw my KJ is 2.8CRD Limited 6sp Manu bought in 2007 but it was built in 2006.

Attachments

• First reading.JPG
    First reading.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Second reading.JPG
    Second reading.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Final reading after earasing codes.JPG
    Final reading after earasing codes.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 6

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure that you do have the 2006 KJ Service Manual from your previous problems you have had so have a look at the DTC codes especially the last one of C1219....check the connections to all of the components mentioned such as the Intergrated Control Module.

I doubt this has anything to do with the Clock-spring....maybe check the wiring behind the fuel filter head mounting bracket for chaffing to ground...I presume this is still the LHD USA model CRD you had with your previous problems...maybe this time the wiring has chaffed through behind the mounting bracket.

I will have a look in the 2006 KJ Parts Fiche to see if I can find the part number for the ICM!

Have fun!

Edit to add: I have seen on one of the KJ sites that the Front Control Module is called the "Module Telematics"
on the 2006 Parts Fiche....part number 05064022AQ. Better make sure you get a good look at what is on offer to make sure it is indeed the FCM!

Last edited:

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Bill,

Thanks to come to my rescue once more. Can you tell me in what Kj site you found this Part no 05064022AQ, please? As I can't find that part.

My KJ is a Rhd for UK market and I wonder if changing my 31in MT tyres by 33in AT tyres would cause the steering angle to change enough to create these DTCs?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
use the 06kj_PARTS_FICHE.pdf

That's a whole listing of parts for your 06 KJ.

2006-KJ-SM.pdf is the factory service manual for your jeep

don't know what site Bill is referring to.

Last edited:

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
use the 06kj_PARTS_FICHE.pdf

That's a whole listing of parts for your 06 KJ.

2006-KJ-SM.pdf is the factory service manual for your jeep

don't know what site Bill is referring to.

I've got the 2006-KJ-SM.pdf but not the 06kj_PARTS_FICHE.pdf

Just got it from Google !

Last edited:

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure that you do have the 2006 KJ Service Manual from your previous problems you have had so have a look at the DTC codes especially the last one of C1219....check the connections to all of the components mentioned such as the Intergrated Control Module.

I doubt this has anything to do with the Clock-spring....maybe check the wiring behind the fuel filter head mounting bracket for chaffing to ground...I presume this is still the LHD USA model CRD you had with your previous problems...maybe this time the wiring has chaffed through behind the mounting bracket.

I will have a look in the 2006 KJ Parts Fiche to see if I can find the part number for the ICM!

Have fun!

Edit to add: I have seen on one of the KJ sites that the Front Control Module is called the "Module Telematics"
on the 2006 Parts Fiche....part number 05064022AQ. Better make sure you get a good look at what is on offer to make sure it is indeed the FCM!

Hi Bill,

I found the Fiche you talk about but this module Telematics (no 10 on the drawing) doesn't really tell me what it is for and as it costs between US $650 and $920 I hope this is not the part I need.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Bill,

I found the Fiche you talk about but this module Telematics (no 10 on the drawing) doesn't really tell me what it is for and as it costs between US $650 and $920 I hope this is not the part I need.

I agree...you do not want to order that part and find that it is completely wrong! You need to see if your local dealer has it in stock and have a look at it to see if it matches your required FCM or try find one at a local Breaker yard!

Have you gone through the 2006 Service manual to see what they advise about your error codes?....I do see that they basically come down to replacing the FCM!

Maybe your new larger tires are causing a problem....did you start having problems soon after replacing the tires?

I have seen on the KJ sites that the FCM is prone to getting mud and water into it as well as faulty connectors to the FCM.....I would remove the FCM and have a good look at it and try open it to see if there is water or mud inside before buying a new one!:shrug:

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree...you do not want to order that part and find that it is completely wrong! You need to see if your local dealer has it in stock and have a look at it to see if it matches your required FCM or try find one at a local Breaker yard!

Have you gone through the 2006 Service manual to see what they advise about your error codes?....I do see that they basically come down to replacing the FCM!

Maybe your new larger tires are causing a problem....did you start having problems soon after replacing the tires?

I have seen on the KJ sites that the FCM is prone to getting mud and water into it as well as faulty connectors to the FCM.....I would remove the FCM and have a good look at it and try open it to see if there is water or mud inside before buying a new one!:shrug:

To be honest I had the ESP/BAS light and skidding icon light in the Dash for almost a year now but I never bothered to look into it as I didn't get any nasty reactions when driving. The only drawback was the loss of Cruise Control. Tyres were then 31s.