Steel d30

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about to buy that sumbitch. I had it added into my cart last night, along with 4.56 gears and bearing kit, and the D30 carrier. Marlin doesn't have any 4.56 rears listed, so I shot him an email. If all goes well, I'll be $2300 poorer :D

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He doesn't have the brand of gears listed when you select what ratio you want. Still waiting on the response. If I got 4.88 I'd certainly need larger than 30.5" tires haha

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm mainly doing this to improve my fuel economy. Hopefully it'll help. Once my lt ifs is done, I'll get a 33", but I don't need anything bigger

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go 4.88 and do it once personally. I promise you after a few months you'll wish you did. These Kj's aren't as friendly to do front gear changes as it is, then factor in cost to regear front/rear, plus labor if you have to pay someone. I'd go as low as possible and ride it out until tire time. Take the scenic bypass route lol. I don't think it will be too bad, about like driving with o/D off. U might can make some money for new tires between stop lights if you launch in 4wd lmao.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm...interesting. I've been getting 14.5-15mpg for about a year and a half now. Switched to a k and n filter when I'm not wheeling, now it's about 15-16mpg. Never turn the od off though

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go 4.88 and do it once personally. I promise you after a few months you'll wish you did. These Kj's aren't as friendly to do front gear changes as it is, then factor in cost to regear front/rear, plus labor if you have to pay someone. I'd go as low as possible and ride it out until tire time. Take the scenic bypass route lol. I don't think it will be too bad, about like driving with o/D off. U might can make some money for new tires between stop lights if you launch in 4wd lmao.

I wouldn't want 4.88's in a 8.25,requires grinding a good a few teeth on the ring gear to install the center pin.

4.56's and up to 32" tires would be perfect on a KJ with the 45RFE trans.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah but so does an 8.8 with lunchbox locker and people do it all the time without problems. Completely different axle, but just saying

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly I'll probably just stay with the 4.56, upgrade to 285/70/16 duratrac, or if I can find a skinnier taller tire I like I'll do that. Then later I'll pull the diff and do my arb locker

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly I'll probably just stay with the 4.56, upgrade to 285/70/16 duratrac, or if I can find a skinnier taller tire I like I'll do that. Then later I'll pull the diff and do my arb locker

4.56s and 32s thats it
perfect all around
and done
wouldn't go to 33s on a KJ even with steel front diff

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it's got some other things planned to help it turn the 33's. Hopefully she will be in around 12" of front travel soon too

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
This looks like quite the project. Good luck! :favorites13:

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my 4.56 gears and install kits got delivered today, can't wait to get home and open them up!!

Diff should be here in about 2 weeks :D