Starts then dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Em96

Reaction score
I got my jeep last year and a few weeks after I got it it would start and then die. It did it a few times inconsistently. So I thought at the time maybe I got water in my gas tank. I treated it with dry gas and started using premium gas and it went away. Then my mom borrowed it a few months ago and said that it had stalled when she tried to start it. It hadn't done it since then until today.
The idle is fine and the the battery was put in in 2015. It stalls before fully starting and that is the only time it stalls. I did notice that if I use regular gas it seemed to stall more often. It is just really weird because it will do it once ( the first time today twice in a row) and then start right up. Anyone have any ideas on what this is?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Tune time-?
Have you checked spark plugs/installed new NGK zfr6f-11g and gap em properly?
57704[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Jeep likes new plugs every 30 k miles.
Cleaned the throttle body & IAC ?- it is responsible for idle and can cause stalls. link: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-02-03-iac-removal-cleaning-59462/
May want to check fuel rail schrader valve w/ pressure gauge and see what the psi readings are...
Ethanol fuels can absorb moisture, keep the tank full in winter.
Use 2 bottles of Chevron Techron concentrate to clean injectors, and add water removers in fuel, may help.
I run Chevron 94 here which contains no ethanol, starts well!

Attachments

• NGK%20Spark%20Plug%20Gap.jpg
    NGK%20Spark%20Plug%20Gap.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 0

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an intermittent problem with the transponder in the key. If you check your codes, it will show up.

Latest posts

Members online