Starting/stalling, rough idle, misfires possible fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of people having the same problem I've been having with my Liberty. I've tried replacing O2 sensors, plugs, crank position sensor, MAP sensor, tested coils, tested ASD relay, all to no avail. I spent over an hour on the phone with Chrysler today trying to figure out a way to get this fixed since there are so many people having this problem. Apparently they have found a reflash to the computer that is supposed to fix all of these problems. I have an appointment set up for Monday morning at my local dealership to have it done. I will try to find a link online that provides more information, and I will post whether it fixed my problems when I get home Monday.

Daveos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did they tell you how much it will cost?

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They said it would be about 45 minutes shop labor, so about $50. After all the money I've already put into it, I figured another 50 is nothing if it finally fixes things.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok with my Jeep, it only happens once in a while. Whether hot or cold starting, jump in the Jeep to start it up, it'll turn over and start but stall out immediately. Sometimes it'll take two or three attempts before it'll stay running. It's done it randomly for the last 2 months or so. Then a couple weeks ago, it started idling rough. The RPMs would dip down to around 450 and it would act like it was going to die, but didn't. Pressing the gas, the engine would sputter and hesitate. The engine felt like it had a bad miss. Driving it, It would do it through first and second gear. Soon after I shifted into third, it would settle down and run fine. Highway speeds, it runs fine. Pulling up to a stop, it would idle down and feel like it wants to stall again, but doesn't. The computer throws a P0300 code: Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire. Sometimes the MIL will start flashing. As I said earlier I replaced a lot of things to try to fix it, with no results. I will say that after I replaced the MAP sensor it doesn't seem quite as bad but it's still noticeable. I know it is something electrical and not mechanical, because if I disconnect the battery long enough to clear the computer, it will start up and run perfectly for about 15-20 minutes.

Hope this helps.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed out parts for 3 months and searched online and asked on forums. I broke down and brought to dealer. After a month of no luck I should've done it. Perhaps it's worth paying 80 for a diagnostic test?

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have my appointment set for about 1 1/2 hours from now to get the reflash. While I'm there I'll try to get a link from the shop guy with the detailed info the DC guy told me and/or the TSB number at least. And of course I'll post if it fixed any of my problems or not. So if anyone else wants to give it a try, I'd assume you can just take the TSB number to your local dealership and hopefully they'll be able to pull it up.

Daveos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just brought my 03 KJ in and they said there were no updates available for it.

Last edited:

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok here's the TSB I had the dealership print it out for me:

Service Bulletin Number: 18-017-04 REV. A Group: Engine Performance Date: June 15, 2004

This bulletin supersedes service bulletin 18-017-04, dated April 20, 2004. All revisions are highlighted with **Asterisks** and includes additional models.

The software will be available on TechCONNECT on June 15, 2004 and for markets outside of the United States and Canada. The software and reprogramming instructions will be available on ITIL/ISIS DVD August 2004.

Subject:
FLASH: 3.7L Driveability and OBD II Monitor Improvements

Overview:
The bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software.

Models:
**2004 (AN) Dakota**
**2004 (DR) Ram Truck**
2004 (KJ) Liberty / Cherokee

Note: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 3.7L engine (sales code EKG) and built on or prior to the following dates for each respective model: Dakota (AN) built on or prior to April 20, 2004 (MDH 0420XX), Liberty / Cherokee (KJ) built on or prior to April 01, 2004 (MDH 0401XX), or Ram Truck (DR) built on or prior to April 13, 2004 (MDH 0413XX).

Symptom/Condition:
This bulletin addresses one or more of the following conditions:

1. Driveability (All domestic and international markets)
a. Eliminates stumble and hesitation when shifting between gears aggresively (this condition applies only to KJ with manual transmission).
2. OBD II Monitor Improvement (All domestic markets and ONLY international markets with OBD II montors - Europe)
a. Erroneous DTC P0116 - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Circuit Performance.
b. Erroneous DTC's related to the Misfire Monitor.
c. Erroneous DTC's related to the Oxygen Sensor Upstream or Downstream Monitors.
d. Erroneous DTC's related to the Fuel System Upstream or Downstream Monitors.

I just got back from the dealership. They had my Jeep for over 5 hours to do the computer reflash and the recall work on the rear control arms. I'm a single father and I work overnights, and I didn't get any sleep today, so I don't have time to take it for a proper test run to find out if it's actually fixed or not. I'm gonna go to bed before I fall asleep at my keyboard. Will put it through the paces tomorrow morning when I get off work and post an update.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up, but don't waste your money. The PCM reflash didn't do anything. Jeep started acting up when I got back to town from work this morning :pp:

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was the solenoid pack. Includes torque converter solenoid, trans temp sensor and trans pressure sensor. Fixed an intermittent code (one that came on months after the problem started) as well as a stalling issue that was taking place for me. My stall was during breaking from running to idling rpms.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just tried replacing my NGK double plats for the OEM plugs from the dealership.. another wasted $26. Still no improvement.