Squishy steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRRC

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I just bought a 2004 KJ with 94000 miles. As far as I can tell everything is still stock. It runs and drives great but I do notice that the steering seems to be soft and sways from side to side just a little. Not to the point of unsafe just not what I'm used to. Tires are new and alignment seems fine. I'm just wonder if this is a normat feel for this vehicle or should I be concerned and dig in deeper.
Thanks TRRC.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
Is there any slack in the steering?
Swaying a bit side to side, something does not sound right.
Do the rack bushings appear to have cracks or move around? or balloon out a bit when turning, with possibly a bit of side to side movement?
Parked, have some one turn the wheel & quarter turn back and forth, & observe the 2 bushings. things should be tight!
You must be registered for see images attach

You may want to have a front wheel /complete inspection & alignment done.

TRRC

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
Is there any slack in the steering?
Swaying a bit side to side, something does not sound right.
Do the rack bushings appear to have cracks or move around? or balloon out a bit when turning, with possibly a bit of side to side movement?
Parked, have some one turn the wheel & quarter turn back and forth, & observe the 2 bushings. things should be tight!
You must be registered for see images attach

You may want to have a front wheel /complete inspection & alignment done.
Thank you LidertyTC
I will check the R and P mounts for movement.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The steering in mine is the tightest of anything I own. Should be super responsive and tight.

TRRC

Reaction score
The steering in mine is the tightest of anything I own. Should be super responsive and tight.
Thank you for the input. I have checked the steering rack and inspect all the bushings and linkage. All is tight and no cracks.
Could it just be the tires having roll in the sidewalls?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
What tires do you have? Rolls in sidewalls? What is your tire pressure at?
All Terrain tires are good for the Jeep. I run with thicker sidewalls/ Kevlar's.

TRRC

Reaction score
The tires that are on are "Lionheart TAs?". I know I've never heard of them either.
I can rock the Liberty back and forth by hand and see almost 1/2" of flex in the sidewalls of the tires.
I just took JK on some dirt roads sand and gravel. It did great. But on the pavement it feels like I'm driving through pudding.
I'm pretty sure it's these tires. I will be swapping them out soon.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
By the looks of those Lionheart's they are mainly car /street radials.
The Jeep is pretty heavy and you want to look for a heavier AT or All Terrain tire or a Mud/snow rated.
Look for an AT that has a strong thick sidewall, that does not push easily inwards- no flimsy sidewalls please.
I use GoodYear Wrangler All Terain Adventure with Kevlar. Many also like the GY Duratrac's, Falken Wild peak AT3W.

TRRC

Reaction score
By the looks of those Lionheart's they are mainly car /street radials.
The Jeep is pretty heavy and you want to look for a heavier AT or All Terrain tire or a Mud/snow rated.
Look for an AT that has a strong thick sidewall, that does not push easily inwards- no flimsy sidewalls please.
I use GoodYear Wrangler All Terain Adventure with Kevlar. Many also like the GY Duratrac's, Falken Wild peak AT3W.
Thank you for the advice