Speedometer not working then working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all!
2002 4wd 6cyl limited

So now its a speedometer not working all the time.

Is there a cable like the cars from the 60's or is it like a fly by wire setup?

Where should I start looking first?

What did you do to fix this?

thanks

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speed sensor is on top of the rear diff. The wires could be shorted or the sensor bad.
I had to pop mine out from inside (remove rear cover) because the plastic was super brittle and broke right off.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The leads going to the sensor on the rear diff are known to rub on nearby handbrake cables and also to have bad connections on the plug itself at the sensor. The fact that it works then stops working would point to a bad connection or chaffing through to chassis.

I had this on my 2002 Export CRD which I traced to a bad connection at the sensor connection. After fixing it the speedo worked but CEL stayed ON for about a week of start/stop driving at which stage the CEL went out.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm so abs light is also on. is this cable shared with both ABS & Speedo?

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have had this on an 02' and 06 ' . broken wires both times. One was by the connector and other was almost near loom goes into the body .
Damotee is correct , abs is also tied to it. I have also seen the connector be the issue . Would with the wires first . usually the sensor is fine . Good luck

Latest posts

Members online