Speedo fix for using other than the 8.25

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have finally fiqured out the speedo issue for using a non-8.25(or JJ's KJ 44) rear diff and a t-case that can use a mechanical speedo drive.

By now you all know that Ted and myself are using AtlasII t-cases and a D60 and Ford 9" rear ends for our SFA swaps.Well the speedo issue has been kinda a black plague for us,planned on using a TJ electronic speedo drive and then having to wire it up(KJ uses 2 wires and TJ uses 3 wires) all with a speedo signal interface.I have been researching it alot and finally got in contact with Nevada Speedmeter,they are very knowledgeable poeple there and new exactly what the KJ used and a TJ.Well the KJ uses a AC signal generator and the TJ uses a Hall-effect sensor and are not adaptable.They make a little gismo that attaches to a regular mechanical speedo drive(will post part# when I get it,$160) and is the same AC signal generator that the KJ uses(2 wire) but of course I'll still have to adjust the pulses per mile by the Dakota Digital recalibrator(which I already have) to dail it in instead of uses different mechanical gears.Costly little bugger but cheaper then trying to machine stuff in the rear diff to use a tone ring and messing with all of that.

This info might be usefull to any other person wanting to do a SFA swap and not have to worry about keeping the 8.25,finding a South Africa KJ D44,or machining the gears for a tone ring.Though use of the stock KJ t-case can't use this mod.

Well here is the AC signal generator from Nevada Speedometer,screws on top of a mechanical speedo drive assembly.........

Part# SA-2650-A
Model# MGO
Price---$160 plus S/H
You must be registered for see images

All parts needed...............
1-Jeep/Chevy trans/t-case sleeve and retainer(mechanical speedo drive),can only get used
2-Dodge/Jeep drive gear,short(any tooth count)
3-WoodWard A/C signal generator,part# SA-2650-A
4-Dakota Digital speedo generator calibrator box,part#SGI-5

#1-#3 can be bought at Nevada Speedometer-1-775-358-7422(no website)
#4 can be bought from Dakota Digital

All totaled cost me $284 + S/H

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anyone that is wondering the preliminary tests on this proved it works,I couldn't get no official tests due to not having a rear diff or driveshafts but the speedo works and I haven't fried anything yet.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to run a jk d44 in the rear end of a kj?
Yes but it will be considerably wider then the front by about 5" or so(2.5" perside) and you will need to swap in a different t-case also and use the above info to get the speedo to work again(the JK's D44 ABS sensors will not run your speedo correctly).

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cheaper then trying to machine stuff in the rear diff to use a tone ring and messing with all of that.

:eek:

I have pretty shoes.

Latest posts

Members online