Special tool 6828 fuel pressure guage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alan Michigan

Reaction score
I need special special tools 6828 and 9663 in order to diagnose fuel problems on my Liberty CRD. I've tried Mopar Essential tools, Amazon and Ebay as well as other sites and can't find them. Does anyone have any idea where I can find these tools or know appropriate substitutes? Special tool 6828 is a fuel pressure gauge and special tool 9663 is an adaptor needed to connect the pressure gauge to the fuel filter fuel head.

Thanks

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
ID Parts or Sasquatch might have the tools or rent them. If not, they might be able to steer you to them.

LOSTJeeps has the most info on CRDs.

What's your fuel problem?

Alan Michigan

Reaction score
It won't start. It cranks but won't start. For a while It would start with difficulty and then run at low power but now it doesn't start at all. I used my OBDII read at got a P0093 code which means it's not getting fuel to the cylinders. Oregon Fuel Injection provided a list of probable causes but most require the special tools I mentioned to diagnose. I think I got some bad fuel but what do you do with 20 gallons of bad diesel?
Thanks for the reply Turbodiesel.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Biggest problem with the 2.8 diesel is "air in fuel". Be$t solution is an in-tank lift pump or in-line fuel pump.

Have you tried using the fuel filter pump and bleed screw? That should get it going until more air gets in. Do you have the "gen-2" fuel filter head made of metal with the blue electrical connecter or the plastic original filter head that melts and lets air in?

Alan Michigan

Reaction score
Yep, I bled the system. When I have time I will bleed it again to make sure. And it has the updated fuel filter head. I will probably start replacing sensors starting with the crankshaft position sensor but I would rather do some real diagnosis to find out where the problem is before replacing potentially perfectly good parts thus the need for the tools. I've seen the lift pumps from Sasquatch and IDparts but the Jeep has been running fine without one for 13 years and the lift pump just adds complexity and a potential for one more thing to break. I like to keep it simple. My suspicion is that it is the fuel rail solenoid that is bad but that is expensive. Worst case is the fuel pump itself is bad. That's a $1300 part all by itself. It seems everyone on the forums make educated guesses as to the problem and replaces the most likely sensor or solenoid without checking fuel pressure or vacuum. The dealership doesn't do any better, that's why I do my own work now. the only way I could get the CEL to go off was to do my own work.

Thanks everyone

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
From what I've read on LOST the engine driven pumps aren't problematic.

Sounds like you've got a plan.

Latest posts

Members online