Speaker Install

Discussion in 'KJ General Discussion' started by AMPlibby06, May 14, 2009.

1. AMPlibby06

AMPlibby06 Full Access Member

I hate my premium speakers, and I want to replace them with speakers with less bass and more trebel to compliment my subwoofers. I know that I need 6.5s but I'm wondering if i'll need adapters?

Any info?

Thanks,
    Alex

2. kj924

kj924 Administrator

No adapters needed to mount new speakers. Are you using factory wiring harness, or will you run new speaker wire?

3. hyde

hyde Moderator KJ Supporting Member

if the 6.5s have extended tabs you will not need adapter if not, you will need it, but I don't think there are any 6.5 without tabs. Stock is 6 3/4".

4. coloradored

coloradored Full Access Member

alpine speakers come with adapters, at least the ones i got did!

5. Vranes17

Vranes17 Full Access Member

I tried to replace the stock infinity sound system with two front Alpine speakers. Believe they are SPS 600. Went to remove the speaker to find a half inch thick click tab thing. That enters what looks to be a small amp attached to the speaker, which had no place to go on the new set. What should i dooooo?

6. CHUD

CHUD Full Access Member

I believe that "small amp" is actually a crossover that diverts the high frequencies to the tweeter mounted in the dash.

My driver's side front speaker has recently started "popping" and I want to replace it, but am concerned I will lose my tweeters.

How have you guys addressed this?

7. desertkj

desertkj Full Access Member

After I replaced the front door speakers, I did lose sound in the rear speakers from losing that crossover in the Infinity speakers. Consequently, I had to replace all four speakers, the HU, and also install an amp. In retrospect, I do believe my installer was an idiot though, so there may be a way to avoid this. Also, I did manage to keep my tweeters becuase I went to another (much more knowledgeable) installer, who somehow found a way to splice the tweeter wiring from the front door panels. However, just a warning, since I did that, I have blown one of the tweeters because they just dont seem to handle the power from the amp. I credit that to the general crappy build of the "premium" sound system in the 02 KJ though.

8. hyde

hyde Moderator KJ Supporting Member

AMPlibby06, can't you just turn down the bass levels?

desertkj, that sounds about right, blowing dash speakers. :) I would replace them all at the same time since the stock amp is a character by itself alone.. What the heck were they thinking designing this sh*t?

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  9. Cableguy

Cableguy Full Access Member

It's a combo amp/crossover. one on each side, drives the respective rear door, front door, and tweeter.

I simply unscrewed the amp/crossover box, ran the wires to the new front speakers, got some self-adhesive velcro, and secured the amp inside the front door pocket. It sucks, because the rear speakers don't get full range, but going from the stock "premium" system to 6.5 pioneer 4-ways was still a massive improvement.

And as a bonus, no blown tweeters. Also didn't have to re-wire the car, or jumper the existing wires since the rear speakers are driven by the amp/crossover on the front speakers.

It's also possible to jumper the wires in the front door together so that they essentially run directly to the speakers and are driven by the head unit if you don't want an amp in the system. And yeah, the tweeters are pretty low-power, so it's not surprising they blew from the amp power.

Took me almost an hour reading the wiring diagram to figure it out. Stupid "Premium" systems.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  10. Mudvein

Mudvein New Member

Back from the dead! I'm installing rear door speakers and they aren't working. So I need to run wire from the front speakers to the back? Is that what "jumper" refers to?

11. renegade 04

renegade 04 Full Access Member

first check all of your connections in the system starting with the speakers and then onto the head unit and if that is not the problem then you should look at running speaker wire.