....Spark Plugs....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moab

Reaction score
I know this has been covered somewhere in the past.
I've got about 85K on my KJ and I really should do my plugs.

So what was the concenses???
Just buy stock plugs or is there an aftermarket
worth a few extra bucks.

My KJ is running fine and has been since I got it - so the stock plugs which are in it it now can't be that bad.

DirtyKK

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
ive read the 3.7 like platinum plugs. gapped to whatever spec your sticker says on the rad support.

Moab

Reaction score
ive read the 3.7 like platinum plugs. gapped to whatever spec your sticker says on the rad support.

Thanks I was going to do them about 4 months ago but got heavily into suspension changes then tires - so with that out of the way I've got a new Battery coming and thought I'd go ahead and do the plugs too.

Moab

Reaction score
Talk about a huge range for the same plug...
Take the Autolite APP5224 (Double Platinum) for instance:
$4.00 - $7.00 each depending on where you go:freak3:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
With a sniff of anti-seize on the threads and Die-electric grease to the boot bottom, I just use the stock NGK and replace them every 25-30k miles.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer NGK G-Power or Autolite Double Platinum.

You can get Autolite plus for cheap at Walmart.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't want to chime in, but I've read somewhere that Autolites too come from the other side of the Pacific now......

...The 'wrong' side... sorry aussies...:gr_grin:

Grab some NOS, while You can....

Moab

Reaction score
Didn't want to chime in, but I've read somewhere that Autolites too come from the other side of the Pacific now......

...The 'wrong' side... sorry aussies...:gr_grin:

Grab some NOS, while You can....

Everything is coming from the other side.....oh brother:disgust:

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
right on, well I'll run them for now..If I have issues I'll pull them. they have to better then what was in it though..

motorking

Reaction score
I know this has been covered somewhere in the past.
I've got about 85K on my KJ and I really should do my plugs.

So what was the concenses???
Just buy stock plugs or is there an aftermarket
worth a few extra bucks.

My KJ is running fine and has been since I got it - so the stock plugs which are in it it now can't be that bad.

Good Morning,
I am the technical manager at Autolite spark plugs. I recommend our XP series plugs for your KJ. The correct part number is XP5224. You can get them at Autozone for 5.99-6.99 each. Why spend that much? These are iridium alloy fine wire spark plugs. What does that mean? They are simply the latest and best technology in spark plugs. The small iridium center wire takes less voltage to fire, resulting in more coil dwell time and a larger spark kernal in the combustion chamber. This gives you faster starts, better fuel economy, more power and lower emissions. They also have a nickel plated shell for corrosion resistance, something you will need as these plugs will have zero gap erosion over 100k miles. If you have any ignition or spark mplug questions, I am happy to answer them at [email protected].
Also, if you really want to know more about spark plug metallurgy, go to autolite.com and watch the autolite challenge video module number one.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Morning,
I am the technical manager at Autolite spark plugs. I recommend our XP series plugs for your KJ. The correct part number is XP5224. You can get them at Autozone for 5.99-6.99 each. Why spend that much? These are iridium alloy fine wire spark plugs. What does that mean? They are simply the latest and best technology in spark plugs. The small iridium center wire takes less voltage to fire, resulting in more coil dwell time and a larger spark kernal in the combustion chamber. This gives you faster starts, better fuel economy, more power and lower emissions. They also have a nickel plated shell for corrosion resistance, something you will need as these plugs will have zero gap erosion over 100k miles. If you have any ignition or spark mplug questions, I am happy to answer them at [email protected].
Also, if you really want to know more about spark plug metallurgy, go to autolite.com and watch the autolite challenge video module number one.
Sadly the KJ's coils don't have enough juice to fire iridium plugs correctly,some that have tried the XP Autolights have had severe radio noise.The KJ uses a "waste" spark system so most of those fancy puugs are not the best choice.

motorking

Reaction score
Sadly the KJ's coils don't have enough juice to fire iridium plugs correctly,some that have tried the XP Autolights have had severe radio noise.The KJ uses a "waste" spark system so most of those fancy puugs are not the best choice.

Um, I would have to disagree with everything you are stating. Jeep KJ's use "coil on plug" ignition, not waste spark. Iridium alloy spark plugs from Autolite, Champion or NGK (whatever brand you prefer) all have much lower required firing voltage than any brand of copper core plug. They were developed for OE automakers specifically for coil on plug type ignitions. I have personally installed them in over 100 Jeeps with no issue's.

Latest posts

Members online