Spare Tire Size Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, I just ordered some MT/R style tires from Treadwright; I ordered 4 in 245/75/16. I am currently running the same size in Goodyear MT/R's. The difference in height is approximately 2/10 of an inch. If I keep my Goodyear as a spare will I run into problems? I remember someone asking a similar question but couldn't find it searching. I know that it isn't smart to have two different sized tires because of various issues with binding and what not, but does 2/10 of an inch make that much of a difference? The reason I ask is because 2 of my GY MT/R's are in good shape and don't want to ditch them if I can keep them as spares.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What transfer case do you have? Selec Trac is more sensitive to stuff like that.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Neither one is going to affect anything in 2wd if you're open at both ends.

Granted the wear on your spare is going to make it so there's a lot more than a quarter inch difference between the spare and the road tires.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Neither one is going to affect anything in 2wd if you're open at both ends.

Granted the wear on your spare is going to make it so there's a lot more than a quarter inch difference between the spare and the road tires.

The soon to be spare is at about 99%, has barely seen pavement. I am open / open. This would only be a worry for about X amount of miles till the tire that went flat was fixed and returned to mah Jeep.

I just don't want my Dutch-ness to come bite me in the azz later for being cheap.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you will be fine
I ran 2 Swampers that were 1/2" shorter than the other 2 and noticed no ill effect
oh and I have a Detroit in the rear ,always locked

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie didn't know your grandmother was Dutch.

She didn't tell you when you guys were spooning the other night. Maybe it just didn't come up?

:D

And thanks for the replies everyone. It didn't seem like it would be a horrible problem, just wanted some sage advice.