Spare Tire License Plate Mount and Theft Deterrent

Discussion in 'Fabrication' started by slowcrawler, Dec 5, 2012.

1. slowcrawler

slowcrawler Full Access Member

Had some time yesterday so I decided to build a license plate mount off my spare tire so I could advertise Jeep al lil more :roflbow: but it also serves as spare tire theft deterrent because its on a slide that I can lock. Gotta love scrap steel laying around. Later I'm going to use this and build a axe and shovel mount off the spare.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  2. hectikart

hectikart Full Access Member

Don't get too crazy mounting other stuff off the spare mount. An oversized tire taxes the gate hinge. A lot of people have ideas to mount a jerry can, etc. from the spare, bad idea. Use a tire carrier instead and mount stuff off that. I would imagine a shovel/axe wouldn't add a ton of weight, but a steel mounting system in addition could.

Also, make sure you make the axe and shovel lockable. You've probably thought of that already.

3. slowcrawler

slowcrawler Full Access Member

Yeah the steel I used is light weight just for that fact you mentioned about the hinge and the mount I build for the axe and shovel will be the same and it will have an adapter for fast removel on and off when not in use or offroading. I build alot of my stuff to be easily removed when not on a camping or offroad trip when I'm back at home and no need to have it on. Thanks for looking out.