Spare Tire holder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Senistr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So with my new tires on my jeep, my spare tire is too "large" for the back. When I try to close the back hatch part, after the swinging door closed, the hatch gets caught on the tire. Is there an extender for the spare tire that is made for the liberty??

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if I'm not mistaken, people here in the forum flip their spare tire mount 180 degrees to fit larger tires.

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be sure to do some research on how to remove the interior panel on the rear cargo door.

I've never removed a rear panel before, but I have read a few DIY articles and it seems that (when removed) the panel has a tendency to crack near the section that covers the rear window latch.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why in the world would you remove the interior panel? There are 4 nuts on the outside that hold the tire carrier on remove them and rotate the carrier 180. The angle can be adjusted using washers or bushings.
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if I'm not mistaken, people here in the forum flip their spare tire mount 180 degrees to fit larger tires.

^^^ That

When the carrier is rotated the top will tilt away from the Jeep quite a bit. To make mine more vertical I placed some nylon washers behind the carrier to get the angle I wanted. (I'm OCD that way :emotions34: :mexsmoke: :gr_grin: ) If you look closely at John's picture above you can see he placed some steel washers on the bottom bolts to do the same thing.

Whatever floats your boat. :waytogo:

Bob

Last edited:

Senistr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I shouldn't worry about getting a new adapter, just rotate it with some washers behind it? I know with the 265, the tire itself is pressed against the bumper on the bottom as well so I will need to move it out quite a bit so that it's not hitting the bumper o_o

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I shouldn't worry about getting a new adapter, just rotate it with some washers behind it? I know with the 265, the tire itself is pressed against the bumper on the bottom as well so I will need to move it out quite a bit so that it's not hitting the bumper o_o

I have this extender I'll sell you for $50 shipped, but seriously I'd try flipping the carrier and see if by using some washers you can get it to fit.

Senistr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went out and took a picture of what I am talking about...above you can see where the back window hits the tire, and you can see at the bottom that the tire is against the bumper...

And still for the life of me, I can't get the stupid picture to stay up right >_<

Last edited:

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went out and took a picture of what I am talking about...above you can see where the back window hits the tire, and you can see at the bottom that the tire is against the bumper...

And still for the life of me, I can't get the stupid picture to stay up right >_<

flipping it moves it up about 2" and tilts it out. You know your not the first one to do this or run that size tire.

Last edited:

Senistr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PTSD > Trust Issues. My bad o_o.

I will have to try that and maybe add a spacer or two. I don't have to worry about the bolt patterns to I? I am not mechanically inclined, I work on computers and used to analyzing and finding things out. Lead to some fun and shocking experiences as well lol

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PTSD > Trust Issues. My bad o_o.

I will have to try that and maybe add a spacer or two. I don't have to worry about the bolt patterns to I? I am not mechanically inclined, I work on computers and used to analyzing and finding things out. Lead to some fun and shocking experiences as well lol

Nope the bolt pattern will be just fine. If you can change a tire you can handle this.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rocky Road (GASP!!) sells a spacer for just these situations (I think the unit in John's pic is the one from Rocky Road.) But I think rotating the carrier and adding some spacers to the bolts will do the trick.

If that doesn't give you the clearance you need could get the Rocky Road spacer or just deal with closing the window and the gate in tandem to clear the tire.

Third option: Get a new rear bumper like Tom Mudd's with the swingaway spare holder on one side and the jerry can holder on the other :mexsmoke:

Bob

Senistr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I saw the Rocky Road one..i'll try turning it upside down first...thanx!

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My upper glass gets stuck too (32 inch tire), and rotating mount didn't help. I gotta open trunk and glass same time. If you add washer only on top, you can adjust angle. Since you have wider tire, idk how yours will do.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My upper glass gets stuck too (32 inch tire), and rotating mount didn't help. I gotta open trunk and glass same time. If you add washer only on top, you can adjust angle. Since you have wider tire, idk how yours will do.

You can move the tire out 3/4" with the mounting bolts and also adjust the angle with the lug nut bolts like bob mentioned above. I have even used a 1/4" spacer behind my wheel for more room. I've even thought of using a 1 1/2" or 2" wheel spacer there. Your tire is only 3/4" wider than what I'm running so if using same wheel you'd only need to gain 3/8" more at the top which would be easy to do. If wheels are stock you'll need more spacing.

Last edited:

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can move the tire out 3/4" with the mounting bolts and also adjust the angle with the lug nut bolts like bob mentioned above. I have even used a 1/4" spacer behind my wheel for more room. I've even thought of using a 1 1/2" or 2" wheel spacer there. Your tire is only 3/4" wider than what I'm running so if using same wheel you'd only need to gain 3/8" more at the top which would be easy to do. If wheels are stock you'll need more spacing.

I run 235/85r16's. I need just a little bit of space. I'm too lazy to fix this now though.

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why in the world would you remove the interior panel? There are 4 nuts on the outside that hold the tire carrier on remove them and rotate the carrier 180. The angle can be adjusted using washers or bushings.

Arrgh!!! Forgot, the rear door on my liberty has been replaced with a cheap copy. It came with these weird bolt brackets (to hold the spare tire mount) that pushes thru from the inside out. But, yeah, the OEM doors do not require the interior panel to be removed.

Senistr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate all the help. I ended up getting a bracket extension which solved the problem perfectly. It is designed mostly for the Wranglers but the way the extension was made it's almost universal and actually fit for the KJ.