Sorry for the late introduction...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been here for about a month, but was having some technical issues, that this forum has been able to help with so far. I wanted to publicly thank those who have responded to me, right away at that, and helped me with my troubles.

I recently bough a real sporty looking 2002 Red Liberty with some nice chrome accents added and some aftermarket stock size rims. The engine blew 667 miles after taking delivery of the Jeep. The used dealer is standing behind the vehicle and replacing the engine with a remanufactured engine. I am going to be so happy with my Jeep when they are finished with it. I can hardly wait.

I am a 46 year old man who is partially disabled. I have a bad neck and back, bad shoulders, knees, and elbows. I also have arthritis in all of my joints. On top of that I have had 3 stents put in my heart and suffer from atrial fibrillation.

With all of that said, I am so very blessed. I still have a job that allows me to make a decent wage, while working from home. I have an awesome wife, and 4 kids. Three boys, who are all moved out (age 19, 23, and 24), and 1 daughter who is 11 years old.

I still love the outdoors, and go hunting and fishing as much as I can. I had a 93 Toyota Hilux SR5 Xtra cab 4x4 but my daughter grew out of the back seat. This is why my first Jeep was going to add to my ability to keep off-roading with the whole family.

I have always admired the looks of the Wranglers, but they are too small inside, but didn't really like the looks of Cherokee, which is big enough inside. This Liberty takes the looks of the Wrangler, and combines the interior size of the Cherokee, and comes out a winner in my book.

I was very disheartened to find out that the 3.7 engines have had so many problems, and I too was a victim of their poor engineering. Hopefully, I will get at least as many miles out of the new engine as the one it is replacing. Actually I am hoping for double that. I can see this Jeep being the last vehicle I will ever buy myself.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome!

It's been my impression that the 3.7L has a good reputation. Maybe you just got the dud, or had a previous owner who wasn't up to ***** in the maintenance department. :)

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've found a LOT of people have had issues with their 3.7 at anywhere between 80,000 and 150,000 miles. Mine has 134,*** miles on it. So many they have been shouting for a recall. It is a sludge issue, a valve seat issue, and a timing tensioner issue. Retired Jeep mechanic of 30+ years, verified this to the dealer when he was called in for his expert opinion.

It is even hard to buy a low mile 3.7 due to these issues. The remanufacturer that the dealer is getting the engine from even states that they have fixed the design flaws of this particular motor. Here is their link... Dodge 3.7 Engine, Jeep 3.7 Engine 02-03 Scroll down to why they are better portion and see what they have to say about it. It isn't just Jeeps, it is any 3.7 from Chrysler in 02 and 03, from what I understand.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...It isn't just Jeeps, it is any 3.7 from Chrysler in 02 and 03, from what I understand.

That probably explains it. I have an 07 and their reputation was pretty sound, at least from what I had been led to believe. Fortunately for me, nothing has happened since I got it last May to change my mind about it. :)

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's awesome! I checked out your thread on the stuff you have done to your Jeep, and it looks like you're doing pretty good bang up job. How much did that roof rack cost you? I wouldn't mind doing that to mine. I can't wait to get mine back from the dealership, but that's a couple weeks out. I want to take some pictures and post them. She is in great shape, other than the blown engine that is! Lol

I really like the color of your Jeep. I have never seen one that color before. Mine is a real pretty red color. I haven't seen one quite this color before either. Maybe the previous owner painted it? But if they did they had a high dollar shop do it, because it really is nice. I doubt it though, because I don't see any overspray and even the under body parts and engine compartment is the same color.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm just getting started. Soon as I get a job and am settled in - look out! :D

The basket was about $110, the 24" extension was another $50, the rails (cheapo, but solid) were $45 and the wind fairing was $30. All told, about $235 for the works. Some people think the basket with the extension is a little on the long side, but I like it. If I ever change my mind, four screws out and the thing is two feet shorter. I plan on adding a couple 4-Gallon RotopaX Gas Packs and a water pack or two. My plan is to get way offroad and have the range to get back, too. Of course, the "way offroad" part will probably entail a suspension lift at some point, maybe as early as this spring if the job comes through. (I've been sick for the last two weeks, which has thrown my plans out of whack for the time being.)

Once the lift is done, it's probably going to get some new wheels, too. It never ends... :licklips:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's good that you're getting your engine sorted out. I've got 133k miles on my 02....knock wood. No sludging issues as far as I'm aware, but then I use nothing but synthetic oil.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics. I went by the dealership on lunch and snapped these with my phone.
02redkj-albums-02-libby-picture4642-0116141230.jpg

02redkj-albums-02-libby-picture4641-0116141229b.jpg

02redkj-albums-02-libby-picture4640-0116141229a.jpg

02redkj-albums-02-libby-picture4639-0116141229.jpg

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that's red! I think it's one of the few colors the chrome grill works on

Sent from my iPhone using Peanut Butter

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks CzarKJ,

It sure is pretty isn't it? I just love this red color. The pictures don't even do it justice either. I agree that the chrome grill doesn't always work, but it does here. I really like the chrome brake light guards too.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome and nice Jeep.

Dave

chadstoks

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

Awesome red one man! I too have to wear sunglasses when I finally wash mine. There is more plastic on mine to break it up a bit though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online