Something to Check On Front Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I changed my front pads around 70k, one of the sliders was completely locked up. I pulled it out and noticed it had a rubber sleeve on it. I cleaned it up, put some Permatex brake lube on it, and slid it back in. After installing the new pads I noticed they were terrible, it would hardly stop. Pulled it all back apart to find the slider was seized again. Purchased some new sliders at Advance and put those in, again used the permatex brake lube. Now at 78,*** the brakes are again lacking, so I took it back apart tonight to find the sliders were once again seized. After some reading, it seems certain types of grease cause the rubber sleeve on the slider to swell. Some say to only use a silicone brake grease. Either way, its something that should be checked. Mine was seized before I even messed with it.

Fow now Ive removed the rubber sleeve and just lubed it up good. Ive read its an anti rattle sleeve, other than that idk what its for.

Here is the grease Ive been using:

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-2035...363138761&sr=8-2&keywords=permatex+brake+lube

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
My thoughts were that it was to stop the leading edge of the pad from making contact first (provide a little more resistance than the rear pin).. to protect against uneven pad wear. Note there is no rubber on the rear pin.

I had the same problem... I removed them about 60,000 km's ago ... pads still wear evenly no brake rattling.

I use the regular Permatex Ultra Slick synthetic brake lube.. it's purple.

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jeepster. Good info to have for the next brake job - I'll be more particular about the rubber sleeve on that front slider.

Bob

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you don't need the rubber bushings on the pin, all they do is swell up and cause problems no matter what grease you use, just take them off, throw them away and keep the slide pins greased well, i usually do a look over of my brakes 2 times a year, though once is probably enough.

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine have been gone for over 10,000 miles. Pads are wearing nice and even. Throw them away and use extra grease. Don't worry about them!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a night and day difference after taking those sleeves out. My brakes are actually brakes now. Its possible that the pads may have been dragging also. I put new rotors on and theyve already warped. Its seems like the jeep rolls better now also. Before the jeep would start slowing as soon as I let off the brake.