Small rust spots on the paint??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So since it was finally above 32 degrees i went out to rinse off the KJ and notice i got a lot of tiny rust spots on the paint mostly near the bottom of the door and quarter panel, its not the panels rusting but more rust on top of the paint from brake dust etc.
What is the best way to get rid of this stuff??
I heard using a Clay bar will work is this true?
Thanks!

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
oh well if that small..i would give it a shot and if the clay bar didnt work well at least you've clay bared your kj...lol

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got that on my wife's old Ranger right after we got it on the hood, couldn't figure out where they came from. Then I realized I had been cutting some metal with a cut off wheel in the garage and then pulled truck out in rain not seeing what I had done. I hit it with some cleaner type wax, but I could still see faint spots.... some light wet sanding then buffing probably would have taken care of it.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So since it was finally above 32 degrees i went out to rinse off the KJ and notice i got a lot of tiny rust spots on the paint mostly near the bottom of the door and quarter panel, its not the panels rusting but more rust on top of the paint from brake dust etc.
What is the best way to get rid of this stuff??
I heard using a Clay bar will work is this true?
Thanks!
It's rail dust and more easily seen in light colors like white and silver.Time to break out the buffer and rubbing compound,your arm will get real tires trying to get rail dust off since it is embedded in the clearcoat.Most,if not all vehicle manufacturer's have a TSB for rail dust.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
It's rail dust and more easily seen in light colors like white and silver.Time to break out the buffer and rubbing compound,your arm will get real tires trying to get rail dust off since it is embedded in the clearcoat.Most,if not all vehicle manufacturer's have a TSB for rail dust.

Wat? Rail dust, what the hell is that? kopkrab.gif

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah mine had that when I bought her in August. I used Nu Finish and buffed those rust spots out. It's a lot of hard work, but totally worth it. Afterward I waxed my whole KJ with Black Magic.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Clay bar, but if that doesn't work, go to Meguire's Ultimate Compound. If that doesn't work, use an aggressive clay, then the compound.

Rail rust is what happens when the KJ was on the train from the factory, "brake dust" from the train goes up in the air, very hot, lands on your paint, and melts (embed) itself in the clear.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Clay bar, but if that doesn't work, go to Meguire's Ultimate Compound. If that doesn't work, use an aggressive clay, then the compound.

Rail rust is what happens when the KJ was on the train from the factory, "brake dust" from the train goes up in the air, very hot, lands on your paint, and melts (embed) itself in the clear.

Ah OK That makes sense then....

I worked at a heating plant here on PEI which burned municipal waste and waste wood to produce heat for boilers for the city and surrounding areas. The flue gases from the boiler would have fly ash in it and that would rain down over our vehicles in the parking lot, gave the same effect as the rail dust.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Alright im going tomorrow to get a clay bar! and i will look to for the Meguires Ultimate compound! Thanks!

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah mine had that when I bought her in August. I used Nu Finish and buffed those rust spots out. It's a lot of hard work, but totally worth it. Afterward I waxed my whole KJ with Black Magic.

I will have to check out the Nu Finish too!
Thanks!

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a clay bar and it turned out pretty good!! :)
But i did find a few spots of clearcoat that are peeling along the moldings and my hood has got a lot of chips...

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a picture after the cleaning, knowing the way the previous owner took care of it, I'm sure its the cleanest its ever been!
You must be registered for see images attach

Except for the tailgate which needs to be straightened and repainted and the hood has a lottt of chips....

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice...not a bad reflection for silver...

Haha no where near as clean as your is, but i did just buy a nice 10" buffer, i've never really cared enough to buff any of my cars before, so i will need to learn on the KJ and then she will really look good!

dlancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wat? Rail dust, what the hell is that? kopkrab.gif

Rail Dust has been a problem of car paint for years. I bought a brand new Pontiac Sunbird way back in 1978. All the top surfaces had been affected by rail dust. Pontiac repainted my car under warranty. Rail dust is what is kicked up when trains roll down the tracks. It settles on the cars paint and when water hits it it causes the spots on cars.

Latest posts

Members online