Small leak detected code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Klh64

Reaction score
Okay so last fall I had a complete 1200$ exhaust system put on my 2004 Jeep Liberty Limited. My friends dad was doing the work. He flew the coop and his daughter and her friend installed it without telling me. I now have a small manifold leak. I have no idea what to do. I'm assuming the two new converters are going to have to be cut off to get to the manifolds Anyone know how hard this job is or how much approx it will cost. I love my Jeep and have put well over 4 Gs into it already.I'm driving around with No inspection because I know it won't pass because the leak is keeping my engine light on Any help is appreciated...

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Okay so last fall I had a complete 1200$ exhaust system put on my 2004 Jeep Liberty Limited. My friends dad was doing the work. He flew the coop and his daughter and her friend installed it without telling me. I now have a small manifold leak. I have no idea what to do. I'm assuming the two new converters are going to have to be cut off to get to the manifolds Anyone know how hard this job is or how much approx it will cost. I love my Jeep and have put well over 4 Gs into it already.I'm driving around with No inspection because I know it won't pass because the leak is keeping my engine light on Any help is appreciated...
Have you personally located/seen/inspected the leak?

Klh64

Reaction score
No I have not. I can do some minor repairs but I'm definitely not a mechanic. I know the space where the cats go is so small but I had my jeep in for tires and brakes a few months ago I told them I had an exhaust leak The shop told me it was a manifold leak and they didn't have the equipment to fix it. Unfortunately I recently moved to a very very small town in PA. I do know when the cats were put on I believe it took a 10mm wrench with barely any room to turn the wrench

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Wish I knew enough to give you some useful advice, but really hoping you get it figured out. :confused:

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I’d MacGuyver the search. Most receipts are thermally printed, so I’d tape some to a wire coat hanger frame of appropriate size with a wire coat hanger handle of appropriate length. Then I’d carefully pass it along an suspect areas at a distance that doesn’t turn black from the heat of the system, but turns black when in contact with the pressurized gasses escaping from said leak.

Is a trick I came up with to find leaks on air cooled VWs that works like a charm, but then again that entire exhaust system fits in an large cooler.

Robochop

Robochop
Reaction score
It could possibly be the small evap lines that run up behind the driver side cat? Half metal/half rubber.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Klh64, inspection time from a good muffler shop.
They should have a handheld C02 detector, while the jeep is running up on lift, to find any exhaust leaks, including manifold.
Have them show you the exact leak locations from detector.
Most parts stores will loan you an OBD2 scan tool to obtain the stored engine code/s. Having those exact code or codes, can help us here greatly.
Here is the 03 factory service manual to help as well. http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/2003JeepKJServiceManual.pdf

runfor5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming you’re talking about a potential exhaust manifold leaks and not EVAP system… when car is cold, start it up and have someone hold a cloth over the tailpipe exit. Then you get underneath / under the hood / up front and see if you hear a hissing type noise. It’s a way to ID a manifold leak potentially on your own. Time is short though before the tailpipe gets hot for the person at the back lol.

Also yes the cats are part of the entire Y-pipe assembly and held on w 2 c-clamp style things. PITA and POS I absolutely hate them. I have a 2004 as well. On the drivers side you’ll need to remove the starter to even get to it if I recall, also consider removing the front driveshaft (it’s easy) for more access there.

Hopefully you don’t have a leak in your actual Y-pipe assembly. They can be pricey especially cus the cats. I imagine you’re new muffler/tailpipe assembly is good… if not they do sell a Gibson stainless one for about $650 that I put on mine ~ 5 years ago.

Glenn Dickson

Reaction score
Assuming you’re talking about a potential exhaust manifold leaks and not EVAP system… when car is cold, start it up and have someone hold a cloth over the tailpipe exit. Then you get underneath / under the hood / up front and see if you hear a hissing type noise. It’s a way to ID a manifold leak potentially on your own. Time is short though before the tailpipe gets hot for the person at the back lol.

Also yes the cats are part of the entire Y-pipe assembly and held on w 2 c-clamp style things. PITA and POS I absolutely hate them. I have a 2004 as well. On the drivers side you’ll need to remove the starter to even get to it if I recall, also consider removing the front driveshaft (it’s easy) for more access there.

Hopefully you don’t have a leak in your actual Y-pipe assembly. They can be pricey especially cus the cats. I imagine you’re new muffler/tailpipe assembly is good… if not they do sell a Gibson stainless one for about $650 that I put on mine ~ 5 years ago.
Easier to do if you just buy a cheap $15 mechanics stethoscope!

KKinTexas

Reaction score
Like others said, get error the codes from a reader. You could even go to Autozone or any parts store and they will read the OBD codes for free. My guess if your engine ight is on it is most likely an evap leak. Pretty common on KJs and KKs. I would think if it was exhaust you would hear it somewhere.