Slow speed hiccup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I was trolling the parking lot for a spot today, my KJ felt sluggish and then hiccupped (for lack of a better term). I was crawling at very low speed/rpm but the problem went away with punching the gas. Also,it was pretty mild outside... but it felt like a cold engine response. I hope that makes sense. My TJ would crawl at low speed for days and no hiccup. Is that normal for the KJ? :-s

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. Mine crawls just fine, normally. But I have been having various problems with mine as of late, so I really don't know what is normal for this vehicle anymore. Fortunately, I think that my latest problem may have been my fault. We'll see, if it will ever quite raining torrents outside... ](*,)

2003KJ

Reaction score
Is yours a 5-speed? Any of my other cars, which were all 5 speeds, would do that if i accidentally let the clutch out and tried to correct my self....in other words choking the engine.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
question...were you in the process of stopping?

sometimes, when the ****** is cold....and coming to a stop, mine kinda "hiccups" as i come to a stop, but i read that the ****** doesnt downshift fast enough when coming to a fast stop....never had the hiccup when just crawling at low rpm slow speed...

it didnt stall did it?

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jackie said:
While I was trolling the parking lot for a spot today, my KJ felt sluggish and then hiccupped (for lack of a better term). I was crawling at very low speed/rpm but the problem went away with punching the gas. Also,it was pretty mild outside... but it felt like a cold engine response. I hope that makes sense. My TJ would crawl at low speed for days and no hiccup. Is that normal for the KJ? :-s
I see you have an auto 4x4 so I'll discount the "5spd lurch" but my next thought is whether you had it in 4WD. I'm taking a stab in the dark, that you had it in Part-time 4WD and the lurching was the transfer case binding/unbinding.

jackie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SiLveRLiB2k2 said:
question...were you in the process of stopping?

sometimes, when the ****** is cold....and coming to a stop, mine kinda "hiccups" as i come to a stop, but i read that the ****** doesnt downshift fast enough when coming to a fast stop....never had the hiccup when just crawling at low rpm slow speed...

it didnt stall did it?

I was coasting with my foot off of the gas.... looking for a parking spot. I guess I did brake a bit (stop & go) but it was not too abrupt. I had been driving for 30 minutes prior to my stop at safeway, so it was not cold. I thought it could be stuck in between gears, so I turned overdrive off & checked to see if 4x4 was engaged. I also had 1/4 tank of gas which should be plenty (but TJs & XJs have had tank problems so you never know) I just don't get it. #-o

After I take off my funky renegade roof rack (i want to get in the garage easier) and check my fluids, I'm going to take it out for a spin to see if it happens again. Hopefully it was just a fluke.

jackie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 7000 miles, oil and filter needed changing. O:) I did the oil wednesday but that did not make much difference in the feel. But I installed a shiny new K&N filter this morning and my Jeep is VERY happy now.

\:D/ \:D/

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
4Factor said:
I see you have an auto 4x4 so I'll discount the "5spd lurch" but my next thought is whether you had it in 4WD. I'm taking a stab in the dark, that you had it in Part-time 4WD and the lurching was the transfer case binding/unbinding.
I have the 4 speed (the one that nobody likes, hehe) and I got that lurch when new. I haven't felt it in a while.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.