Skim pin codes - 06 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for you guys who have successfully obtained skim pin codes from your dealer:

did you get the pin code from service dept or parts dept?

My service advisor / manager is playing hard to get, saying they can’t pull codes, only program to the skim module for a fee of 90 bucks.

my scan tool, Launch v431x walks thru the program sequence, but stops where it wants the pin code.

Service initially suggested parts could maybe supply, then offered the 90 dollar special.

ideas?

I think it is only 4 digits, but i’m sure not going to put time into trying 10000 combinations. Besides, it would lock the skim out from what i’ve read.

Thanks!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK my understanding of how things work!

The SKIM module on top of the steering column is programmed to the chipped keys 4 digit code.

The ECM/PCM is programmed to the same code.

The SKIM reads the code from the chipped key and sends it to the ECM/BCM. If the ECM/BCM is not happy with the code received it will set the RED Led on left of Cluster to Flash and engine will start and run for a few seconds then die.

In the case of a CRD if the ECM is happy with the code received...the ECM powers up the ASD Relay and waits for confirmation from the ASD Relay that it...the ASD Relay...has in fact energized. If the ECM gets this confirmation then the engine fires up. If the ECM does not get this ASD Relay confirmation then the Red Led on cluster stays ON all the time...motor will turn over constantly but not fire at all....in this case jumping pins 30 and 87 together inside the ASD Relay empty socket may get the engine to run...I had this!

In the case of the Gassers....it is a bit more complicated!

So first of all is this a CRD or a Gasser?o_O
Is the Red Led ON solid or Flashing or not ON at all?:confused:

Are you trying to replace the ECM/PCM and need to program the chipped code into it or are you replacing the SKIM module or are you trying to have new keys cut and programmed?

According to the relevant KJ Service Manual, the SKIM module is programmed at the factory and cannot be re-programmed. If the SKIM module is faulty a new Virgen SKIM module needs to be programmed with the correct code...an already programmed SKIM module cannot be re-programmed!

I believe that some Key Cutters are able to read the code off a chipped key in order to make duplicates.....Dealers normally require proof of ownership to be able to program new spare keys.;)

I doubt the SKIM Module itself can be locked out...maybe the ECM/PCM!

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a gasser Billwill.

my issue is that I ordered keys from an ebay vendor. Kj only came with one.

took to my local hardware store to cut the physical key. No worries there.

Programmed the remote function just fine with my scantool.

The new keys need to be validated with the skm. So I need the 4 digit pin.

dealer not cooperative unless I pay him 90 bucks. Jeep isn’t even on the road yet.

So I am asking:

did you guys get your pin from the service manager or the parts department.

great explanation of how things work!

cheers!

OK my understanding of how things work!

The SKIM module on top of the steering column is programmed to the chipped keys 4 digit code.

The ECM/PCM is programmed to the same code.

The SKIM reads the code from the chipped key and sends it to the ECM/BCM. If the ECM/BCM is not happy with the code received it will set the RED Led on left of Cluster to Flash and engine will start and run for a few seconds then die.

In the case of a CRD if the ECM is happy with the code received...the ECM powers up the ASD Relay and waits for confirmation from the ASD Relay that it...the ASD Relay...has in fact energized. If the ECM gets this confirmation then the engine fires up. If the ECM does not get this ASD Relay confirmation then the Red Led on cluster stays ON all the time...motor will turn over constantly but not fire at all....in this case jumping pins 30 and 87 together inside the ASD Relay empty socket may get the engine to run...I had this!

In the case of the Gassers....it is a bit more complicated!

So first of all is this a CRD or a Gasser?o_O
Is the Red Led ON solid or Flashing or not ON at all?:confused:

Are you trying to replace the ECM/PCM and need to program the chipped code into it or are you replacing the SKIM module or are you trying to have new keys cut and programmed?

According to the relevant KJ Service Manual, the SKIM module is programmed at the factory and cannot be re-programmed. If the SKIM module is faulty a new Virgen SKIM module needs to be programmed with the correct code...an already programmed SKIM module cannot be re-programmed!

I believe that some Key Cutters are able to read the code off a chipped key in order to make duplicates.....Dealers normally require proof of ownership to be able to program new spare keys.;)

I doubt the SKIM Module itself can be locked out...maybe the ECM/PCM!

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have fought with my local dealer to get that pin also. They told me that they can only process a limited number of request to get these pin codes and will not provide them to the public under any circumstances. I hope you have better luck and share how if you're successful.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read that the dealers will program new keys provided you can provide them with Proof of Ownership of the Jeep!;)

I suppose it depends on where you live and the decency of your local Dealer!

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found an app in the play store after much research that I am going to try when I get home. It is aptly named Chrysler pin puller. It requires an elm327 obd Bluetooth adapter, I happen to have, and charges 14.99 to retrieve the pin. I am hoping it's not digital snake oil and does the job. I'll update here if I am successful.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found an app in the play store after much research that I am going to try when I get home. It is aptly named Chrysler pin puller. It requires an elm327 obd Bluetooth adapter, I happen to have, and charges 14.99 to retrieve the pin. I am hoping it's not digital snake oil and does the job. I'll update here if I am successful.
I saw that! Wasn’t sure if it would go. I don’t have the android tablet. I have an ipad. I didn’t see it listed in my app store.

i looked at moparkeycode.com, but it asks for some numbers that I think are locksmith specific.

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, 98% to 100% of the legit online stuff requires a locksmith license. Even that app presumes you know what you are doing. No instructions at all with it. Fortunately for me I am rather tech savvy and I'll provide instructions if and when I figure it out. It's not rocket science. I finally got in trouble with my cell phone carrier because I rooted an old S7 I had and got some Russian software to run on it that enabled a forced connection to their network giving me true unlimited data they couldn't throttle for hotspot use. I still have that carrier but had to modify my strategy. Android tablets are super cheap nowadays so if it works that shouldn't be much of a barrier.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True!

i am all for an experiment like this.

lol.
i will gladly spend the bucks to have the code that the service guy offered to program up to 8 keys but i would still not have the code.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So John P. I got to thinking about this and remembered that I do have an Android tablet.

It is what my x431V scan tool is based on.

I tried with no success to get the bluetooth dongle that comes with the Launch scanner to talk to the pin pull application. Apparently, the dongle is newer hardware than the v1.5 that the app specifies.

No joy so far for me. I do also know that the wifi ELM 327 does not work becuase the pin puller wants to look at bluetooth for the source.

One video I saw on the pin puller had the guy using both pin pull all and his scan tool, but on a OBD ii splitter. I wonder just why not pull the pin and then swap dongles and scan tools, then code the new key.

Finally, I thought I had a winner last nite. I had the dash pulled down to put in the puddle lite upgrade and noticed all these neat stickers to the right of the steering column. Tried to strip a few code numbers based on what I saw, but it locks the Launch up for an hour at a time.

Jeff

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know. I'm going to try this tonight when I get home. I have an old dongle from when Bluetooth was the next big thing, lol. Perhaps it's old enough to work. I saw that same splitter video too.

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Success, but limited. I was able to get the pin code for my 2011 KK using the Chrysler pin puller app. It worked with my older Konnwei obd2 adapter. You have to start with a fresh pairing to your phone making sure no other apps are trying to access the adapter. Once pairing is complete, turn on the ignition and hit the Bluetooth connect icon top left. It will connect. The bottom of the app will display working if you get the message"Elm327 I am v1.5" once that is displayed go to select function, choose appropriate to your application. For me it was can 2/3 06-13. It is 15 tokens but you get 15 free downloading the app. Hit start, it will ask you to start the vehicle, after a couple of seconds of working on it, it will pop up your Vin number and display your Key pin code. You're done. Screenshot pin, close app, and turn off the Jeep. Connect whatever you use for programming and enjoy. I used the Autel AP200 from Amazon and it works. Entered the pin, programmed the key.

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P.S. the limited part was my fault. The key I programmed was one I had tried before and failed because I used the incorrect pin(thought I had found the correct one diging around in the ecm). From my research the key can only be properly programmed on the first attempt. Because I tried and failed it left the key program incomplete. They key did program with the correct pin entered and will start the Jeep, the fob functions however did not program and do not work. I am ordering another key to start fresh with. Will update when I get to it. It's also a possibility the eBay seller sent me the wrong FCC id'd key blank. *Edit* dug up old eBay records and it appears the seller I purchased from sent a defective key, many negative reviews for failure to program by locksmiths. Guess I should have done my homework

Last edited:

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P.S. the limited part was my fault. The key I programmed was one I had tried before and failed because I used the incorrect pin(thought I had found the correct one diging around in the ecm). From my research the key can only be properly programmed on the first attempt. Because I tried and failed it left the key program incomplete. They key did program with the correct pin entered and will start the Jeep, the fob functions however did not program and do not work. I am ordering another key to start fresh with. Will update when I get to it. It's also a possibility the eBay seller sent me the wrong FCC id'd key blank. *Edit* dug up old eBay records and it appears the seller I purchased from sent a defective key, many negative reviews for failure to program by locksmiths. Guess I should have done my homework

john,

are you sure that you can’t program the fob part?

on the v431x, there is a separate program to do it.

supposedly, once your key is setup with the skim code, it autonagically does the fob as well.
I was able to program the fobs on mine, but now, thanks to you, i’m on the search for the v1.5 adapter.

i’ll look up where the fob program is. Maybe yours has it too!

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Success, but limited. I was able to get the pin code for my 2011 KK using the Chrysler pin puller app. It worked with my older Konnwei obd2 adapter. You have to start with a fresh pairing to your phone making sure no other apps are trying to access the adapter. Once pairing is complete, turn on the ignition and hit the Bluetooth connect icon top left. It will connect. The bottom of the app will display working if you get the message"Elm327 I am v1.5" once that is displayed go to select function, choose appropriate to your application. For me it was can 2/3 06-13. It is 15 tokens but you get 15 free downloading the app. Hit start, it will ask you to start the vehicle, after a couple of seconds of working on it, it will pop up your Vin number and display your Key pin code. You're done. Screenshot pin, close app, and turn off the Jeep. Connect whatever you use for programming and enjoy. I used the Autel AP200 from Amazon and it works. Entered the pin, programmed the key.
Great!

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't find the model number on mine. It is the green one on eBay for like 18 bucks.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, if you haven't found an adapter that works I could throw mine in a padded envelope and send it to so long as you can ship it back when finished. It would be coming and going to Omaha, NE.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got one coming Monday, John. If it does not work, I will take you up on your kind offer! Thank you much!

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Epic Fail on the pin puller app.

does not work on kj’s below 08, which I guess is a kk.

Latest posts

Members online