skid plate questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the cheapest and kindest place local to me to get metal (4X8' 3/16" for $166) and plan on making skids out of 3/16" steel and would like opinions on the best way to cheaply add strength to them. I was thinking some angle iron or even 1x2 1/8" wall tubing or c-channel to reinforce the vast areas like the bottom of the gas tank.
Is that even necessary with the 3/16" steel?

For the fuel tank I want to make a U shape and enclose what I can of the open space of the U (essentially making a bucket) without getting too close to anything.

I will be using plenty of cardboard and eventually thin plywood to get the shapes just right before even laying a scratch in the steel so I know it all fits and looks like it will work well.

Also, is 1/8" wall square tubing thick enough for a rock rail? I'm thinking of doing a design similar to rock lizard but using 3x3 with 1/8" wall instead of 2x2 (probably still just 1x2 from the 1/4" mounting plates) or is that overkill?

Edit: After doing more searching I found the Skid Row skids to be the closest to what I was picturing in my head (their gas tank skid looks a little weak because of the brackets but I may just be over engineering in my head). Just have to steal my brothers pickup for the 4x8' sheet and find the time to get my mock-up and designing done. If it all ends well I will tell the wife I want square tubing for christmas for the rock rails:gr_grin:

Last edited: