Silcone, White Lithium... what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, talked to the service guys at the Stealership. He said the rubbing noise was a bushing rubbing on the sway bar, as I turned going into the street, down the driveway. That's why the sound goes away when everything gets heated up. Makes sense. Also the fact that it didn't do when I backed out straight. Sway bar wasn't moving.

Okay, so I'm going to go under and lube the bushings. Should I use silcone spray, white lithuium greese? What should I use. I want to make it last... Please help... [-o<

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Dunno, but this is what the dealer applied to my sway bar bushings... I got new ones after it started to make that horrible noise.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

I'm guessing that's white lithium grease?

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
white lithium grease..

as a note never ever use something with petroleum distillates on rubber

Yippers

Reaction score
According to Hotchkis (Highly reputable maker of after market anti-sway bars) you should NOT use litium grease as water will wash it out. I'd use a 100% silicone grease .. not spray

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what will also work is grease designed for marine applications (trailers, etc) -- no worries about water flushing it out then and its the same stuff really. Most important is what Bennett said though, its gotta be safe for use with rubber/poly compounds otherwise it'll eat away at it.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, just seemed either not enough or washed off (because I was playing in too many intersection lakes during California's downpours) Only seems to be on one bushing and I felt like taking care of it myself.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Trodo said:
No, just seemed either not enough or washed off (because I was playing in too many intersection lakes during California's downpours) Only seems to be on one bushing and I felt like taking care of it myself.

I was talking about my bushings. =P~

Yippers

Reaction score
If the dealer used lithium grease I'd say they erred. It isn't 'bad' perse .. It just won't last as long as a non-lithium would.