Signals don't work but hazards do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mannyyuh

Reaction score
2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade. Was driving from work, and signal stopped working after I took a turn. When I use the stalk, the signals don't work, the dash indicators don't light up, and there is no clicking sound.

But when I press the hazards, all the bulbs work, the dash indicators light up, and the clicking noise is there.

I checked the #11 and #12 fuse, both are fine, bulbs are fine.

Someone said it could be the turn signal stalk, and someone else said it could be the signal relay that is built into the hazard switch, anyone have any ideas?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
My guess is the multifunction, (turn signal stalk), is bad. Easy to change out.

Mine went bad when my dog chewed it up.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah definitely the Multifunction switch.

There are two types available depending on if you have standard front fog lamps fitted or not.

navupmyself

Reaction score
Alright, well I found out the problem.

I re-read the manual, and apparently there are 2 fuses related to the turn signals. The #11 fuse, a 15 Amp Blue, which is specifically for the turn signals, and the #39 fuse, a 10 Amp Red, which is for the rear defroster, back up lights, and the turn signals. I guess I just didn't notice the backup lights being out since I don't drive at night.

So, in case anyone ever has this problem, check the #11 and #39 fuses first, it could be a simple $1 fuse, instead of a $45 hazard flasher relay or a $85 multi function switch. Which will save you the headache of returning parts you don't need.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, well I found out the problem.

I re-read the manual, and apparently there are 2 fuses related to the turn signals. The #11 fuse, a 15 Amp Blue, which is specifically for the turn signals, and the #39 fuse, a 10 Amp Red, which is for the rear defroster, back up lights, and the turn signals. I guess I just didn't notice the backup lights being out since I don't drive at night.

So, in case anyone ever has this problem, check the #11 and #39 fuses first, it could be a simple $1 fuse, instead of a $45 hazard flasher relay or a $85 multi function switch. Which will save you the headache of returning parts you don't need.

The OP stated that the Hazard switch flashes all the turn lamps.

Fuse #11 15A and fuse #39 10A directly feed into the Hazard switch so if either of these fuses are blown then nothing would work.
Moving the Multifunction switch to left or right supplies the Hazard Switch with a ground for either left or right flashing required and then the Hazard Switch supplies the +12 Volts to the left or right side in a flashing mode.

So yes if either of those two fuses are blown then the indicator lights will not work but likewise the Hazard function will not work.

OP can download the 2003 Jeep KJ Service Manual here....Section 8W is the Wiring Diagram section and page 8W-52-2 is the relevant page for this problem.

Most probably the multifunction switch in this case though in theory the Hazard Switch itself could have failed....there is a lot of logic built into this Hazard Switch!

Jeep KJ Manuals: Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

Last edited:

navupmyself

Reaction score
The OP stated that the Hazard switch flashes all the turn lamps.

Fuse #11 15A and fuse #39 10A directly feed into the Hazard switch so if either of these fuses are blown then nothing would work.
Moving the Multifunction switch to left or right supplies the Hazard Switch with a ground for either left or right flashing required and then the Hazard Switch supplies the +12 Volts to the left or right side in a flashing mode.

So yes if either of those two fuses are blown then the indicator lights will not work but likewise the Hazard function will not work.

OP can download the 2003 Jeep KJ Service Manual here....Section 8W is the Wiring Diagram section and page 8W-52-2 is the relevant page for this problem.

Most probably the multifunction switch in this case though in theory the Hazard Switch itself could have failed....there is a lot of logic built into this Hazard Switch!

Jeep KJ Manuals: Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

Nope, I had a blown 39 fuse, hazards still worked, don't know if your wrong or whatever, but pull out the 39 fuse and the hazards still functions perfectly.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, I had a blown 39 fuse, hazards still worked, don't know if your wrong or whatever, but pull out the 39 fuse and the hazards still functions perfectly.

Not a big deal.

I have the relevant wiring diagram in front of me now but although it shows me that fuse #39 10 A is needed for the hazards to work....I have learnt from my experience of fault-finding electrical problems on my Jeep and helping others on various Jeep forums that the wiring diagrams....and Theory of Operations.....have plenty mistakes in them!

Makes life interesting:icon_razz:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.