Shopping List before OME lift install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joncan

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So, I might have jumped the gun before I really understood everything, but when the wife gives you the go ahead when you say "I'm thinking about..." you do it before she can second guess anything.

I posted in the intros section to say hi, but this is the section I've been stuck in for about a week.

I bought an OME 1.5"lift kit from JBA including the UCAs. I want to install everything next week, but hoping you guys can help me figure out what more I might need.

Most of the posts I've read through suggest an additional isolator on the rear and a spacer and clevis lift on the front when doing one of these lifts. Is that just for the additional ~1/2 inch?

If I want to EVENTUALLY run 245/70R17s (without pinch weld pounding and other cutting) would I need the additional room provided by the clevis-spacer/isolator? -- Also I have an idea of going to 4/10 gears, but that's going to be at least a year away while I find and rebuild some junk diffs**

With all of that said, here is my current shopping list. Suggestions are welcome:

- Front strut mounts (Mopar obvs)
- Front Bump stops
- Hockey pucks
- chassis paint (lots of rust down there...)

Thanks ahead of time for your suggestions/advice.

**a idea doesn't mean I'm actually going to do it. I can get a little overzealous when I start imagining future projects. Regearing turned into rebuilding junk diffs, which is evolving into add lockers.

Samsolo49

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So, I might have jumped the gun before I really understood everything, but when the wife gives you the go ahead when you say "I'm thinking about..." you do it before she can second guess anything.

I posted in the intros section to say hi, but this is the section I've been stuck in for about a week.

I bought an OME 1.5"lift kit from JBA including the UCAs. I want to install everything next week, but hoping you guys can help me figure out what more I might need.

Most of the posts I've read through suggest an additional isolator on the rear and a spacer and clevis lift on the front when doing one of these lifts. Is that just for the additional ~1/2 inch?

If I want to EVENTUALLY run 245/70R17s (without pinch weld pounding and other cutting) would I need the additional room provided by the clevis-spacer/isolator? -- Also I have an idea of going to 4/10 gears, but that's going to be at least a year away while I find and rebuild some junk diffs**

With all of that said, here is my current shopping list. Suggestions are welcome:

- Front Bump stops
- Hockey pucks

**a idea doesn't mean I'm actually going to do it. I can get a little overzealous when I start imagining future projects. Regearing turned into rebuilding junk diffs, which is evolving into add lockers.
I have the ome 1.5 lift on my Libby and have 245 74 16's and just had to pound over the pinch welds at the rear of the front wheel wells. The extra 1/2" MIGHT make it where you don't have to do that but really not a big deal and the one lift drives/rides awesome
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

joncan

Reaction score
I have the ome 1.5 lift on my Libby and have 245 74 16's and just had to pound over the pinch welds at the rear of the front wheel wells. The extra 1/2" MIGHT make it where you don't have to do that but really not a big deal and the one lift drives/rides awesome

Thanks Sam! Your jeep looks awesome.

Was there noticable rubbing with those tires without pounding the pinch weld?

Samsolo49

Reaction score
Thanks Sam! Your jeep looks awesome.

Was there noticable rubbing with those tires without pounding the pinch weld?
Yep absolutely.lol pounding the pinch weld isn't a big deal, just take off the front tires and get a big hammer.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

- Front Bump stops
- Hockey pucks

OK you say 1.5 inches but what springs did you get?
If 927s and 948s then you have a 2.5 inch lift already
A 1.5 inch would be 926/947 spring combo
So we'll start there
Did you get it with shocks?
If so which rear shocks ??
How high to you want to be after you lift?

joncan

Reaction score
OK you say 1.5 inches but what springs did you get?
If 927s and 948s then you have a 2.5 inch lift already
A 1.5 inch would be 926/947 spring combo
So we'll start there
Did you get it with shocks?
If so which rear shocks ??
How high to you want to be after you lift?
Yeah I got the 927/948 combo with OME shocks and the N132L for the rear. So that's 2.5". Sorry I didn't specify.

As far as how much I want to lift, I really don't know. I'd like enough room for 31" tires without having to pound the pinch weld or cut anything.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I got the 927/948 combo with OME shocks and the N132L for the rear. So that's 2.5". Sorry I didn't specify.

As far as how much I want to lift, I really don't know. I'd like enough room for 31" tires without having to pound the pinch weld or cut anything.

Stick with smaller tires then
and never cut anything

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I ran 245/70/17s with just OME 926s/948s, no rubbing other than on the front of the wheel well. Had to trim the liner a bit. Never touched the pinchweld.

joncan

Reaction score
Stick with smaller tires then
and never cut anything
Lol, can I intrepret this to mean "reframe your thinking, young one"?

I don't often go off road, but to get a pass to drive out on the beaches out here you need to have a certain size tire for your rim size. I'm pretty sure they require a 245 70 or greater ratio for 17" wheels. That's why i'd like those 30.5" tires.

So plan on pounding/ cutting no matter what?

What if I say I'd like to get 3"?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol, can I intrepret this to mean "reframe your thinking, young one"?

I don't often go off road, but to get a pass to drive out on the beaches out here you need to have a certain size tire for your rim size. I'm pretty sure they require a 245 70 or greater ratio for 17" wheels. That's why i'd like those 30.5" tires.

So plan on pounding/ cutting no matter what?

What if I say I'd like to get 3"?

I just go ahead and do all pinch welds I install lifts on, depending on wheel width, backspacing, type of tread you run, it all makes a difference in if it rubs or sometimes doesn't . I really enjoy doing the pinch welds really, if you do them like I do you can't even really tell you did anything. Plus its fun to beat them over :happy175:

joncan

Reaction score
Thanks for adding your experience Hoosier! That's helpful.

To avoid making this another tire size to lift height discussion, any pointers on stuff I should put on my shopping list? I mean, the jeep's 12 years old so any pointers on "things I wish I would have bought before I started this project" would be appreciated.

I have most of the tools I need. The ones I don't have, either one or both of my neighbors will have in their garages. Might have to go out there today with a flashlight and take stock of things. Maybe run to the screw and bolt shop and pick up replacement nuts and bolts, JIC.

I've done enough suspension to know that a cutting wheel and a good torch are probably going to come out at some point on a 12 year old vehicle in New England. That's mostly why I don't want to do any optional cutting/modifying. It just adds to an already uncertain weekend.

This is also my DD, but I don't drive daily. (WFH for the win!!!)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd replace the front upper shock mounts with the new springs/shocks. Mine both broke recently on my 05 and made some bad noises. Get Mopar only for those.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for adding your experience Hoosier! That's helpful.

To avoid making this another tire size to lift height discussion, any pointers on stuff I should put on my shopping list? I mean, the jeep's 12 years old so any pointers on "things I wish I would have bought before I started this project" would be appreciated.

I have most of the tools I need. The ones I don't have, either one or both of my neighbors will have in their garages. Might have to go out there today with a flashlight and take stock of things. Maybe run to the screw and bolt shop and pick up replacement nuts and bolts, JIC.

I've done enough suspension to know that a cutting wheel and a good torch are probably going to come out at some point on a 12 year old vehicle in New England. That's mostly why I don't want to do any optional cutting/modifying. It just adds to an already uncertain weekend.

This is also my DD, but I don't drive daily. (WFH for the win!!!)

If you start out using a cut off or a torch you have more serious problems than New England, I've done lifts on KJs from 7 different Midwest states and never needed them. Now old POS Cherokee's , yes .
Just take your time on the first one, don't watch most Youtube vids on how to do it, good penetrating oil and you'll be fine

joncan

Reaction score
Oh yeah, never started there. Just ended up there plenty of times after some broken breaker bars and lots of bloody knuckles.

Never on a liberty, though, and I haven't done anything like this in more than a decade. So I might be planning on too much worst case.

Last edited:

joncan

Reaction score
You said it was going to be easy, I never imagined it would be that easy!

One man, a few sprays of PB breaker, a little background music and 8 hours in the garage. Drives awesome. Looks better.

Thanks for all the pointers and posts. I'm happy, tired and greasy.

Latest posts

Members online