Shocks - Looking for improved ride...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I see in a lot of the lift threads that people will mention they get a better performing ride because of better quality shocks than OEM. In my case, I am 100% stock, no lift on my Libby. My wife complains of nausea every time she rides with me, I guess the ride it too bouncy for her. Since we are about to take an 8 hour ride for vacation I want to see if I can help out now rather than have her sick for a week. I suppose I can up the air pressure in my tires closer to the max to stiffen things up a bit... but I am wondering, are there any recommended shock upgrades for standard lengths (no lift kits) that would improve the ride quality? I just bought new rubber so I am not looking for a lift (lift usually looks funny without larger tires).

How long do the stock OEM shocks last typically? I doubt this truck has seen much off road use (only since I got it back in the fall and even then very minor). I have 118,000 km and its a 2006, no clue if they have ever been changed.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I see in a lot of the lift threads that people will mention they get a better performing ride because of better quality shocks than OEM. In my case, I am 100% stock, no lift on my Libby. My wife complains of nausea every time she rides with me, I guess the ride it too bouncy for her. Since we are about to take an 8 hour ride for vacation I want to see if I can help out now rather than have her sick for a week. I suppose I can up the air pressure in my tires closer to the max to stiffen things up a bit... but I am wondering, are there any recommended shock upgrades for standard lengths (no lift kits) that would improve the ride quality? I just bought new rubber so I am not looking for a lift (lift usually looks funny without larger tires).

How long do the stock OEM shocks last typically? I doubt this truck has seen much off road use (only since I got it back in the fall and even then very minor). I have 118,000 km and its a 2006, no clue if they have ever been changed.

FIRST DO NOT add air pressure to " stiffen up " the ride , run what is on the door
As far as what to replace, shocks last 55-60,000 miles at best , springs sag on these and ride like crap from brand new anyways. Sounds like that is what she is complaining about since the ride is terrible at best even new. So with 73,000 miles or so its due for a upgrade. ( I did my 04 at 20,000 miles and then the wife liked the ride so much more)
So what to use, its a bad idea to add new shocks to worn out springs, due to putting extra stress on them and causing them to wear more. Are you only looking to do the rear or all around?
If all around then you'd be further ahead to do a complete swap out of springs and shocks. Upgrading the suspension is not always about lifting.
You can run say 925 or 926 front OME springs that would provide a much better ride and handling but only lift maybe one inch above new stock height.
Personally IF I was doing it I'd go with the OME 926 front and 730 rear springs with 90009 front shocks and 60069 rear shocks. To install new front shocks you would need to compress springs anyways to install.
Over all ride will be so much improved and will last 3 - 4 times longer than new stock ever did anyways
New stock springs were rated at 310 lb, the 926s are rated at 375 pound so gives a firmer ride but not to the point of being uncomfortable at all
Most everyone runs 927s which are even firmer

SO, my experience, Replacing shocks would only be a band-aid approach in the long run
But if you want to try, either the OME shocks or Bilstein
www.jeepinbyal.com has both and even has the full OME lift
or shockwarehouse has the bilsteins

Last edited:

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's kind of what I was worried about. I was hoping to eventually do a full suspension upgrade and then consider a lift... just not a very economic thing to do when forced into a situation. I am guessing the "OME 1.50" lift kit KJ" is what you are recommending, would I also need the "Al's A-arms" or would the stock ones do just fine?

Its around $950 USD shipped, $1250 in Monopoly money, I mean Canadian. Damn that's an expensive "test" to see if she can handle a $1000 vacation. Still, I like the idea of a better riding truck. No point in just doing it half-assed with just rear shocks, would I even see any improvement? My guess is the front sags more than the back...

Thanks for the information and advice, I have a lot to consider.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My jeep also used to have a horrible ride, it used to have the stock suspension with over 150,000 miles on it and what a difference once I put the OME lift on!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OME 1.5" will come out to more or less 2.5" above STOCK HEIGHT (19" hub to flare). So it's not really a 1.5" lift.

If you decide on the OME, I have some pretty much new (installed for 500 miles or so) OME 60069 shocks. I'll sell them dirt cheap to get them out of my garage. They ended up being too short for what I needed them for.

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I'll sell them dirt cheap to get them out of my garage...

That would the lesser of two evils, see if it helps or not and then later decide on a full suspension upgrade. Only problem is the shipping costs to Canada would be crazy expensive. Any clue what they weight? I can check the rates on USPS and then PM you if the rates are reasonable.

Thanks for the offer.

Ooops, just realized I posed in the KK instead of the KJ discussion board.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Little confusion here
The OME 927s provide 2.5 inches of lift but advertised as 1.5 inch for insurance reasons in Australia
The 925s or 926s would not give as much lift as the 927s of course due to lower spring rate
Yes at that height stock arms are fine, but once you get into the 3 inch plus you need them

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Did you also put the 1.5" lift like the one listed here?
OME 1.50" lift kit KJ

Is that something any shmoe can install in his driveway or does it require a fair amount of experience and tools? (I am guessing at least a spring compressor is required).

Yes you can install at home, basically remove and replace, of course need to take the springs to a shop to have them compressed and the new springs/ shocks installed with the old hardware
I've ran two different OME lifts on my 04 plus Ironman and JBA coilovers, plus done over 35 KJ lifts here so its a great upgrade, never had any one complain, only why didn;t I do it sooner

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would the lesser of two evils, see if it helps or not and then later decide on a full suspension upgrade. Only problem is the shipping costs to Canada would be crazy expensive. Any clue what they weight? I can check the rates on USPS and then PM you if the rates are reasonable.

Thanks for the offer.

Ooops, just realized I posed in the KK instead of the KJ discussion board.

Not a clue, really (bad at guessing). But I would highly suggest getting new springs as well. Worn out springs will just wear out the shocks quickly.

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what the "right" answer will be, but what if I can not afford to do the whole Jeep at one, and can only afford either the front or rear at a time, which would provide the best overall improvement to the feel of the truck?

It might be easier for me to afford doing the front or back only, then in the fall do the other end. Probably not the best option, but better than nothing.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
To be quite honest no would not be a good idea to do one end and not the other
reason one, is if replacing even with factory parts one end or the other will be higher since old is sagged and weak put against new parts
Reason two is one end will still have a looser feel to it going down the road compared to the end with new parts and a bit firmer etc
Fronts go bad quicker in front of course
But IF you have to do it, replace front new springs and shocks
then for the rear at the very least new shocks, save you about 170 bucks is all but could get by
Of course would have to add some isolators to try and level it out some with the front