Shock and spring assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mshack

Reaction score
Anyone tell me or maybe it's somewhere and I can't find it?

When my springs and shocks arrive...will I be able to load the shocks into the springs myself?

I can't find anything on how to do this step.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a spring compressor, you can... Otherwise, no, and dont try to use those small little spring compressors from a parts store.

Local shop should be able to put them together if they are any count.

On the rears, you can just pop those right in.

Mshack

Reaction score
Spring compressor from Autozone should work? If I rent one?

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The spring compressors available for rent are intended for passenger cars, you are working with a truck spring which is a different animal. It's best to take your parts into a shop that does suspension work, definitely worth the little amount they'll likely charge for you safety.

Mshack

Reaction score
Definitely will take them to a shop. Thanks y'all.

And in my research this morning b4 going to work...seen these guys using ratchet straps? Oh lord!

Mshack

Reaction score
I am sure I would not even try to use ratchet straps on these springs.

Got home from work and the new springs and shocks were at the house...opened them up and WOW...very nice!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes those rent a spring compressors are good for car springs of 250 lb or so but when dealing with a 400 lb rated springs with a tight coil, they are head knockers ( and not in a good way )

Mshack

Reaction score
NO do not try it with them
I was also wondering about this hockey puck thing that is mentioned, in another thread, I believe?

Any pics of this mounted and what location? I have not understood where it goes.

Or do I even need it?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hockey pucks get bolted to the lower spring perches in the rear. That way your stock bump stops above have something at the right height to sit down on when loaded/flexing. It will save your fender flares and prevent you from blowing out your shocks by topping them out. To bolt the pucks on, put the Jeep on jack stands on the frame rails under the rear doors, rear tires removed. Jack up one side of the rear axle. The side that droops should come down far enough to get the spring out, either by hand or with a pry bar. (May have to disconnect sway bar links… also careful not to max out your brake line hoses.) Drill the center of the steel perch and the center of 2 hockey pucks per side. Put the pucks into the spring, then put the spring back in place. Bolt them down afterwards with a grade 8 or stainless bolt, washer, and a nylon lock nut. You should be able to hold the nut under the perch with a box wrench and turn the bolt with a ratchet from above, inside the spring. Snug it up and then repeat the process on the other side.

Last edited:

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stock bump stop is above, and the hockey pucks (bump stop extension in my case) are on the bottom. Mine is 4 inch lifted so would need more than 2 pucks in my case if I went that route.

You must be registered for see images attach

Mshack

Reaction score
The hockey pucks get bolted to the lower spring perches in the rear. That way your stock bump stops above have something at the right height to sit down on when loaded/flexing. It will save your fender flares and prevent you from blowing out your shocks by topping them out. To bolt the pucks on, put the Jeep on jack stands on the frame rails under the rear doors, rear tires removed. Jack up one side of the rear axle. The side that droops should come down far enough to get the spring out, either by hand or with a pry bar. (May have to disconnect sway bar links… also careful not to mac out your brake line hoses.) Drill the center of the steel perch and the center of 2 hockey pucks per side. Put the pucks into the spring, then put the spring back in place. Bolt them down afterwards with a grade 8 or stainless bolt, washer, and a nylon lock nut. You should be able to hold the nut under the perch with a box wrench and turn the bolt with a ratchet from above, inside the spring. Snug it up and then repeat the process on the other side.
Thank you do much for explaining that...now I understand