Shifter bushing elimination fix possibly?

Discussion in 'Fabrication' started by bajasoobnut, Oct 7, 2020.

1. bajasoobnut

bajasoobnut New Member

Hey guys, I am now starting to look initially into either modifying or even fabricating a new setup for the transfer case end of the selector system. I replaced the shifter/cable assembly on my 03 to the newer shift assembly from what I believe was a 05 that was in the pick-n-pull near my place. I put in a new bushing as well and it failed and yeeted out a little bit after installation and after finding out that it was a poor design with failures galore I decided to look into it more. I haven't done any measurements yet but I am thinking of removing the stud on the lever arm and either making a revnut or possibly new arm with a tapped hole and using a custom made brass bushing and shoulder bolt system. Possibly looking at how to redo the cable end to take a heim joint possibly.

So, just want to know what you guys think about this idea.

2. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

If it failed you have other issues as well possibly, not a bad design, parts just wear out

3. bajasoobnut

bajasoobnut New Member

As I stated I replaced the shifter cable system with one from a 05 and this is in a 03, the bushing is the same one that is used in 07 and up wranglers and I have ran across many issues on other forums with bushing failure. The reason why I had to replace the cable and all was because I had a sleeve failure where it separated from the shifter side trunnion, was a bitch to get it shifted back into 2wd when that happened btw. So I am looking at a better system where you don't have to use zip ties or other means of keeping things together. Also I haven't shifted it into 4wd since I did that replacement so it all came apart while just driving around.

4. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Well that one sentence changes everything then
    But if you got it from a junk yard then possibly it was bad and just looked OK, before you installed it
    Out of my 3 ( with a combined mileage of over 550,000 miles on them) and over 150 KJs or so that I have worked on , never had an issue with the cable or any breakage
    And all have been used a lot , so just wondering you know

good luck on your quest though ;)