Shaved CV's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
So .. I understand the concept.
But where is the 1/2" actually is machined from? The cage or the race? or both? :shrug:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The inner CV cup,which also cuts off the internal groove for the retaining clip and most of the machined flat to place the boot clamp on also.

You must be registered for see images attach

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The inner CV cup,which also cuts off the internal groove for the retaining clip and most of the machined flat to place the boot clamp on also.

You must be registered for see images attach

I am going to have my CVs machined by a local guy here in UK. He asked me me a couple of questions to which I was not able to reply so please TJKJ or any of you guys who have the knowledge your help here would be greatly appreciated.

So here it goes: I understand that the inner cup of the CV will be shortened by 1/2in. Is it the exact measure? Once the internal groove and the outer flat(where the boot clamp is fixed) have disppeared do we have to re-machine them in order to put back in place the internal retaining clip and the outer boot clamp ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You don't shave the whole thing off if you did then there would be no where to clamp the boot

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't shave the whole thing off if you did then there would be no where to clamp the boot

Sorry to ask the same thing again but I really need precise information about the work to be done on my CVs to start my project.

Would you experienced guys mind telling me please because I understood that 1/2in had to be machined off. I realised I was wrong after reading Tom's post above.

I found this on the JBA website: "1/2in had to be machined from the face of the inner joint"

Does that mean that the thickness of the inner cup has to be reduced by ? x 10th/mm on a length of 1/2 inch from the edge of the Cup?

There is an inner groove with a retaining clip so if I understand right the bottom of the groove has to be extended by 1/2in from the edge of the inner cup. By doing that there is no groove anymore therefore the inner clip cannot go back to its place. The outer part of the cup stays untouched so the Boot clamp can be fitted again.

Right or wrong?

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I have asked these questions before .. the lack of response may have something to do with the proprietary nature of the product. I'm sure Al would prefer we buy it from him since he did all the leg work.

Just a thought.

If you were to re-machine the groove for the retaining ring would that not defeat the purpose?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you were to re-machine the groove for the retaining ring would that not defeat the purpose?
No,actually will keep the joint from falling apart.

Basically to do it right the person needs to make the end of the cup look identical to how it looks before cutting 3/8" off,to include the outside area where the boot clamps onto.

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Basically to do it right the person needs to make the end of the cup look identical to how it looks before cutting 3/8" off,to include the outside area where the boot clamps onto.

Thank you that's all I needed to know.

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Just one last thing, mine is the 2.8 Diesel not Petrol. So is it still 3/8?

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep,if you can get it high enough since your limited on lift due to the front diff placement and much shorter drivers side CV axle compared to a 3.7 KJ.

Thanks again. Well I am planning to lift it to 6in, lowering the cradle down to 2in and fit the JBA steel Front Diff with 4.88 gears. How does that sound to you?