Selec-Trac II(R) Active Full-Time 4WD System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spolebitski

Reaction score
What is the difference between "Selec-Trac II(R) Active Full-Time 4WD System" and the standard 4WD system that comes with the 08 Liberty.

I was told by the salesmen that "Selec-Trac II(R) Active Full-Time 4WD System" means the vehicle is always in 4WD and you can't switch to 2WD. This did not seem right. In addition it just so happened that the last 08 liberty on the lot has the standard 4WD not the "Selec-Trac II(R) Active Full-Time 4WD System"

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between "Selec-Trac II(R) Active Full-Time 4WD System" and the standard 4WD system that comes with the 08 Liberty.

I was told by the salesmen that "Selec-Trac II(R) Active Full-Time 4WD System" means the vehicle is always in 4WD and you can't switch to 2WD. This did not seem right. In addition it just so happened that the last 08 liberty on the lot has the standard 4WD not the "Selec-Trac II(R) Active Full-Time 4WD System"
Command Trac II = 4part time,4 low,and 2wd hi
Select Trac II = 4part time,4 full time,4low,and 2wd hi

It means you just have the option of driving in 4hi on any surface,even dry surfaces like blacktop without damaging your driveline.The select trac is the weaker of the 2 t-cases.

spolebitski

Reaction score
Command Trac II = 4part time,4 low,and 2wd hi
Select Trac II = 4part time,4 full time,4low,and 2wd hi

It means you just have the option of driving in 4hi on any surface,even dry surfaces like blacktop without damaging your driveline.The select trac is the weaker of the 2 t-cases.

So if select trac is weaker it's not as good as command trac II?

airbornekk08

Reaction score
iirc, with the Selec Trac option and having it engaged, if you slip, it'll lock it all up for you. (ala traction control in the Explorer or even a Dodge Stratus)

With the Command Trac, you choose to put into 4WD when you need to, otherwise it's in 2WD.

My 1983 Ford Bronco is a 'Command Track', if you will. I choose to put into 4WD and when to take it out.

Yes, the Selec Trac has more fragile components with all those sensors and such. In the Command Trac, it's in 4WD, or it's out.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
iirc, with the Selec Trac option and having it engaged, if you slip, it'll lock it all up for you. (ala traction control in the Explorer or even a Dodge Stratus)
Not close,if you have the select trac II and put it into full time you are in 4wd.The select trac has a center diff(open) that allows the F/R driveshafts to turn at different speeds allowing you to be in 4wd on hard/dry surfaces without binding.When you put the select trac II in part time 4wd it locks the center diff making the F/R driveshafts spin at the same speed(locked) which will cause binding on hard/dry surfaces(this the only option in the command trac t-case).

Yes, the Selec Trac has more fragile components with all those sensors and such.
It has no more sensors then the command trac(only one sensor for the idiot light),the weak link is the center diff and the shifter mechinism (only for the regular select trac,like in the KJ).

spolebitski

Reaction score
Is the selct trac an upgrade? Should I take it as an option for 4wd? The salesmen seems to think I should not need it as it is always in 4wd ... obviously he is wrong about this.

Boblemoche

Reaction score
the select track on the kk is not the same as the kj. you cant put it in 4wd part time on the kk select track and it use a clutch pack instead of a center diff. I have the select track on mine and It seems like it stays locked until you make a turn. I can hear it click when I drive in 4wd hi while turning as if it unlock when you turn the wheel. My guess is that the new select track is pretty close to part time 4wd and its not worth it to add a part time mode

KK select track = 2wd / 4wd full time / 4wd low part time
KK command track = 2wd / 4wd part time / 4wd low part time

yes the select track is an upgrade and is up to you to see if you need it

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, as was said, the new selec-trac-11 system in the KK is a little different than the selec-trac in the KJ. But they both can operate on all surfaces. Personally I like mine and use it a lot. We have spotty snow/ice patches and bare pavement spots on the roads sometimes, hard rain, and I have used it on curvy mountain roads and even dirt roads where you could use either 4hi or full-time. It seems to work good for those conditions.

I still miss a command trac with Warn locking hubs. Nothing like getting up in the morning to the "click" of locking your hubs and then you knew you were going to get into some crap that day....:D

Let us know what you decide to get and how you like it.

Dave

spolebitski

Reaction score
I plan to move forward this week with the dealer ... I will educate him (nicely) to let him know that Select-Trac is not a full time 4wd system (always in 4wd and never can switch out).

redrock08

Reaction score
Dealers don't now what they are talking about.

Please do not rely for the dealer to know what they are selling. When I went to buy my 08 Limited Comand Trac, I had to argue with two sales people that they did not know what they were talking about. You can guess by now they were glad to see me off their Lot. I'll be clear! The Slec-Trac for the 08 up Liberty has a 2wd mode as well as all wheel drive mode, and a 4Low mode.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not close,if you have the select trac II and put it into full time you are in 4wd.The select trac has a center diff(open) that allows the F/R driveshafts to turn at different speeds allowing you to be in 4wd on hard/dry surfaces without binding.When you put the select trac II in part time 4wd it locks the center diff making the F/R driveshafts spin at the same speed(locked) which will cause binding on hard/dry surfaces(this the only option in the command trac t-case).

It has no more sensors then the command trac(only one sensor for the idiot light),the weak link is the center diff and the shifter mechinism (only for the regular select trac,like in the KJ).

The select-trac 2 actually has a clutch in it to transfer torque.. Its not like the 242 at all..

And Im surprised you said its safe to drive on black top in 4hi, everyone knows you shouldnt do that.

Got two 242's and so far both are doing great. Doesnt help the KK out though.. :)