Seizing caliper-why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anyone that has ever had to change out a seizing caliper, have you ever figured out why its seized? Ive changed out 3 calipers on my gf's 08 wrangler and tonight makes 2 on my liberty. When it had 30k one of the rear ones seized up. For awhile now ive noticed my rf wheel has more brake dust than any other. Checked all sliders and they were free. The past two ive changed on my gf's ive popped the piston out and noticed a ring of rust. The rust is past the dust boot but before the main piston seal. Seams water is getting in and causing enough rust to lightly seize the caliper.

I also noticed the pistons seal was evidently breaking down. There was a cery sticky substance on the piston where the seal sat on the piston. If we could get a rebuild kit with a bew piston we could save a ton. I paid $50 for mine at napa. Its their new line, comes painted black. New sliders and all. Pics kind suck, from my phone.

You must be registered for see images attach

Got a new hose also, just in case it was breaking down. When i took the caliper off it was pretty tight on the rotor so im sure that was it. Had already loosened the hose so any back pressure wouldve been releaved. Already have the new hose so why not.

Last edited:

doolop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that after market ones fail sooner than OEM. But that said I would be interested my self as I have replaced both front on my 02 KJ.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably have cheap internals. I had to use an autozone caliper(dont like that place) on my gf's jk. That was the only place that had one and we needed it that evening. New one went bad within a year but it has a lifetime warranty. Still ***** having to replace a caliper.

Out of the other two one is a napa and the other is a mopar replacement.

Two ive replaced on mine are napa

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had one of my front ones stick after I slammed on the brakes. Brought it right to Midas they pulled it apart. All that made it stick was rust and gunk. Didn't need new ones just cleaned and replaced.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The use of aluminum in braking systems these day's requires you to change the brake fluid more often.That green sludge is actually corrosion(copper from the aluminum parts).They do make copper test strips to check your brake fluid,should be checked at every oil change.At 100ppm you should flush the fluid.

Flush the brake fluid every year,or at very least every 2 years,and 99% of these issues will go away.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Braking systems are one of the least done maintenance items there are.
Of all the things I've seen let go over the years brakes has to be in the top three. I've seen brake fluid that looked more like gear lube than anything else. Few people ever change theirs or think to do it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive flushed the brakes twice in that jeep. By all means not every two years but far better than most. When i bleed them for this caliper it'll be the 3rd time.

Amazes me, i know some people never flush theirs in the life of the vehicle and they dont have issues. Guess all brakes are different.

Members online

No members online now.