Second set of CV axles after lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I originally had a BDS 2" lift and had a CV's done at the same time since they were original at 102K. I upgraded to a JBA 2.5" lift 25K miles later and had to replace both CV's again. Now 15K miles later I found out the intermediate shaft was never replaced like I asked and now the passenger side needs to be redone again. Driver's side has a lot of play also and will be replaced. My mechanic was explaining to me that the angle is too steep on the front CV's and that's why they are not lasting.

I've read over and over again on this forum how a 2.5" lift should be ok with stock CV's but should I think about cut-down ones? I'm taking it to a driveshaft and axle specialty shop to get their take on it.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be the axles you're using some say the aftermarket new axles are shorter than the factory reman axles from Napa. The $75 remains from Napa are what others use and seem to last much longer. I've got 200,000 miles on my factory axles. 15,000 of them at 3 and now about 3000 at 4 inches of lift. Still no issues I can tell.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be the axles you're using some say the aftermarket new axles are shorter than the factory reman axles from Napa. The $75 remains from Napa are what others use and seem to last much longer. I've got 200,000 miles on my factory axles. 15,000 of them at 3 and now about 3000 at 4 inches of lift. Still no issues I can tell.

Yeah I told that to the mechanic and he said he has had problems with poor quality on NAPA reman's (not for a KJ though.)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I told that to the mechanic and he said he has had problems with poor quality on NAPA reman's (not for a KJ though.)

You will get varying answers since alot of shops will push parts they get the biggest profit on and sadly remaned CV's are not a big profit part.

Also you can get a bad CV? Sure not every part is going to be perfect and last but from 20+ years in the business I'll tell you Napa reman's are the best out there unless your going brand new OEM or a high end manufacturer like RCV.

$75 for a Napa reman is far better then dishing out $1000+ for a set of RCV's.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Never had any issues at all from NAPA Remanned ones. Had them on the 04 with 4 plus inches of lift had more over 60,000 on one until a stick hit just right and went through the boot
But yes^^^ what Troy stated they would rather sell a high dollar item and make a lot more out of it
If you were a bit closer I'd help ya out

2.5 inches is nothing really , like mentioned ran stock ones on 4 plus inches
The one issue was not having the intermediate replaced

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and advice. I'm going to a shop my friend swears by for a second estimate. My buddy says they will do exactly what I want done and will install any parts I bring so let me see how that goes.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've sat at 4 inches on my original CV's for over 20K now with no issues. Napa re-manned units will be the replacements when the time comes.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of stock CVs. Anyone have a quality pic of stock vs machined or a pic pointing to where you can machine?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of stock CVs. Anyone have a quality pic of stock vs machined or a pic pointing to where you can machine?

I do but PB *****.

Unless you machine another locking clip journal the inner CV joint can and will come apart.Cutting that 3/8" off the inner cup removes that journal for that clip and most of the boot seating area.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do but PB *****.

Unless you machine another locking clip journal the inner CV joint can and will come apart.Cutting that 3/8" off the inner cup removes that journal for that clip and most of the boot seating area.
I suggest imgur.com for images you expect to see high bandwidth usage, otherwise Google drive/photos.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It takes about 2 hours ($60 an HR) at a machine shop to cut down an axle. A local machine shop said they can do it when or if the time comes. I'm at 4 inches on my factory axles.