Seat Swap SRS seats to non SRS seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nogoldformarfa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I recently swapped my front seats in my 07 Kj with some leather heated seats from a wrecked 02. SHortly after I took the old seats out I realized I needed a pair of wire strippers and went back to my apartment to grab them.

In that 10 minutes someone actually came by and took my old seats. (City living is great).

I am now stuck with no airbags (I think). Both the Main airbag light on the dash is on and the passenger airbag light is on. I am trying to get an idea of how I would make the system bypass the occupant classification module and just make the jeep keep the passenger seat airbag on at all times.

I know I can use a resistor but I dont know where to attach it. Just to the Seat belt tensioner (Small connector)? or do I need one on the main harness (Big connector in the picture). The big connector which i think is C313 is just hanging out as the 02 seats dont have that style of connector.

I come to you in desperation KJ Country, and my questions are as follows:

Does the 2 lamps mean no airbags will deploy in an accident?
Can I use a resistor? If so what ohm and how best to connect?

I thought I could buy the mat and sensor but it is discontinued everywhere
https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/products/Jeep/2007/Liberty/BLADDER-REPAIR-KIT--WIRING-Right-Occupant-Classification-System--Power-Seat-See-Note--Right-Side-Only-Power-And-Heated--With-Heated-Seat--Right-Side-O/4417255/68019045AA.html

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The airbag light on the dash being lit, means there is a problem with the airbag system. In your case, no airbags.

NORMALLY, when the light is on, the system won't work. BUT, it still can in an accident. Most times there is no need to worry about the airbags going off for no reason, but there is always the possibility, though I've never heard of it happening.

As far as bypassing to shut off the light, I don't know.

nogoldformarfa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies. I am searching everywhere and cannot find an 07 seat that came from a KJ with passenger airbags.

Does anyone have any recommendations for where I might could find one or any recommendations on a good parts source that could answer a few questions I have about what exactly is needed?

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was about to swap seats with an '03, but stopped because of the difference.

FWIW, the airbag seat sensor begins in '04.

nogoldformarfa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An update on my situation here:

Last weekend I found a wrecked 04 KJ with some nice Columbia edition seats at the junkyard. I snagged both front seats for $60 bucks and bolted them int his weekend.

The 04 had the OCM and the passenger sensor. AIrbag light turns off for a second and then comes back on.

After some research this is due to the VIN mismatch between the OCM and the rest of the Jeep. I found in the service manual that there is a procedure the dealer can do to correct this so I am going to try to get it up to the dealership at some point this week or next weekend.

Also im going to grab the back bench fromt he columbia edition this weekend too. The rear bench is a nightmare to remove so I debated on grabbing it but I think I will for the $40 bucks they are goign to charge for it.

nogoldformarfa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An update to this update:

Fingers Crossed , needles in eyes all that other stuff I think I fixed it.

I realized that months ago I bought just an occupant classification module from ebay incorrectly thinking I could just connect it up to the 02 seats.

I remembered I had this and checked the listing again and apparently this was a brand new module which I didnt even consider at the time.

On a hunch I swapped the module from the 04 seats with this separate module and did the whole "lay in the passenger floorboard and turn the key scared shitless that the airbags would go off " thing and to my absolute astonishment the airbag light came on for 5 seconds and then went off. The passenger seat airbag still showed as off.

Reluctantly I climbed into the passenger seat and boom after about 4 seconds the light went off.

Lessons Learned:

1. ALWAYS when swapping seats save your Occupant classification module from your old passenger seat. I would go ahead and keep your passenger weight sensor and all wiring as well just to be safe but at the very least keep this module

2. If you are like me and you stupidly got rid of/trashed/got stolen your old seat before you remove this module, simply swapping seats from an 04 and up will not work you must either go to the dealership and get your vin flashed to the OCM or buy a brand new OCM

3. The jeeps mysterious and wise computer apparently can relearn the VIN in the case of a new OCM being installed

4. Lastly to save yourself an extreme amount of headache/unsafe driving 04 to 07 KJ's should only have their seats swapped with seats from another 04 to 07 KJ

5. 02 - 03 can get 02 - 03 seats without any issues. they can also get 04 - 07 seats but you will have to do some wire splicing to get power seats to work

6. 04 - 07 can really get any seats but the process of swapping the Passenger discriminating components (Mat/sensors/wiring) is a pain that I would say to avoid if you can

I hope this helps anyone trying to do this in the future. Now I did not mention or go into detail about heated seat wiring as this is a separate beast and is covered elsewhere on this forum

Also a general rule of thumb power seat wring colors/ locations in the harness can vary from model year to model year so always use a voltmeter

Lesman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put 2003 seats in a 2004 the bladder OCM transplant was straight forward just time consuming. Having trouble with the heated seats can't find a 2003 wiring diagram.

Latest posts

Members online