scuffs and bruises

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Midgear

Reaction score
I understand that a dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep, and I've gotten discusted at HoosierJeeper for keeping that Jeep PRISTINE all the time. BUT-

It's time for me to detail mine.. I'm talkin about paint on the undercarriage, scuffs / scratches / trail pinstripes cleaned up and removed if possible. Claybar/ wax, armorall, interior detail ect ect ect.

First off.. if I took it to a shop to get it detailed.. would they buff out the scratches and scuffs on the paint? Or do they just do a quick wash and wax and vacuum the interior?

My beautiful black paint job is looking like crap these days.. and I've never waxed my Jeep since the day I got it.. 9/11/09 is when that was. What's a good buffer worth these days? What products should I look into buying?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
A detail from a shop can be just a wash, to dismantling the Jeep for about a grand, and taking a few days...

For overall use, I'd get Meguire's Ultimate Compound, clay, paint cleaner, polish, and a good sealant.

For the under carriage, any thing is fine. I'll be using Meguire's Deep Crystal Wash, and tire shine, but Simple Green is fine as well.

Midgear

Reaction score
I need to get a buffer that spins.. at about 1000 - 1500 RPM..or has adjustable speeds. versus that crap-ass random orbit buffer that wobbles and flops around like a giant fish having a seizure.. and a good buffing compound.

my hood has some really deep scratches in it too.. I doubt I'm gonna be able to get those out without some touch-up paint. we'll see though.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
For the hood scratches, they can't be removed by hand if they can be felt by your finger nail.

As far as applying touchup paint, put it on thick, wet sand it even, then buff with the Ultimate Compound...

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to get a buffer that spins.. at about 1000 - 1500 RPM..or has adjustable speeds. versus that crap-ass random orbit buffer that wobbles and flops around like a giant fish having a seizure.. and a good buffing compound.

my hood has some really deep scratches in it too.. I doubt I'm gonna be able to get those out without some touch-up paint. we'll see though.
I would suggest a Porter Cable 7424XP. It is a dual action polisher. Not like the random orbit polishers you are talking about. These polishers can get the work done, but they are safer than rotary polishers. I would suggest Lake Country pads and Optimum or Menzerna polishes and compounds. You would be able to bring the shine back to your Jeep and keep it that way for the same price a shop would charge you for one detail.

If you want more info and links, let me know.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the basics of what I would order and what you need to get the job done.

Porter Cable 7424XP = $119.99
3.5" Dual Action Flexible Backing Plate = $12.99
Lake Country 4" Foam Pads 6 Pack = $27.99
In that pack, I would get:
1 - Yellow
2 - Orange
2 - White
1 - Green
XMT Polishing Pad Conditioner = $12.99 (BOGO)

For polishes and compounds, I would go with either...

Optimum Compound II = $19.99
Optimum Polish II = $19.99

or

Menzerna Super Intensive Polish = $44.99
Menzerna Super Finish (Nano) = $49.99

or

Meguiar's #105 Ultra-Cut Compound = $27.99
Meguiar's #205 Ultra Finishing Polish = $29.99

With either choice, I would grab some of this...
Optimum Poli-Seal = $15.99

So, to total it up...

The kit with Optimum will cost: $229.93

The kit with Menzerna will cost: $284.93

The kit with Meguiar's will cost: $247.93

You will need to go to Auto Zone and purchase a Clay Magic Clay Bar Kit for $10 and use that before you polish. And of course you will need some microfiber towels to wipe the compound.polis/wax residue off the paint during the process.

All of that together is ballpark what you will pay for a good professional to properly polish your vehicle. You will learn a new skill and have products that will last a long time for that same price.

A couple of links that will help you out...
Autogeek's Dual Action Polishing Guide
A Detailing DIY/FAQ thread I created with lots of helpful links

A typical detail will go like this...
Wash - Use your favorite car wash.
Clay - Clay Magic Clay Kit
Compound - Orange pad w/either Optimum Compound II, Menserna SIP, or Meguiar's #105
Polish - White pad w/either Optimum Polish II, Menzerna Nano, or Meguiar's #205
Clean - Green pad w/Optimum Poli-Seal
Wax/Seal - Use your favorite wax or sealant.

You can use the yellow pad on the really bad areas of the vehicle or on the scratched areas. Otherwise, I would mostly use the orange pad for the main cutting step.

That is about it for the most part. If you have any more questions or want me to explain anything else, let me know.

:)

Last edited:

Midgear

Reaction score
would you suggest wet sanding some scratches, like say the hood. theres a few spots where it looks like someone's jeans has scratched through the clear coat. it's a solid bright white scratch (a few of them actually) or would you just use touch up paint?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
would you suggest wet sanding some scratches, like say the hood. theres a few spots where it looks like someone's jeans has scratched through the clear coat. it's a solid bright white scratch (a few of them actually) or would you just use touch up paint?

Down to the primer....

Touch it up with a thick coat, wet sand, and buff...

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The general rule is that if you can catch the scratch with your fingernail, then you can't sand the paint down safely enough to remove the scratch. In that case, it is best to you touch-up paint to build it up and then wetsand it smooth. After you wetsand it, you can polish the area back up.

Midgear

Reaction score
after closer inspection.. my hood is covered in these bright white scratches.. now my question- will the touch up paint remain and shine just as the factory paint that surrounds it? does it matter that those "lines" of touch up paint don't have the clear coat to protect it?

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after closer inspection.. my hood is covered in these bright white scratches.. now my question- will the touch up paint remain and shine just as the factory paint that surrounds it? does it matter that those "lines" of touch up paint don't have the clear coat to protect it?

I wonder this too??
I have a pretty big scratch and a bunch of chips that i need to use some touch up on.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Touch up paint is mainly to prevent chips from rusting/spreading. For looks, you can wet sand it down a bit and buff the area...

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you prep the scratches properly and apply it properly, the touch-up paint should shine just like the paint and it will remain that way.
I don't generally use a clear to protect it. The touch-up paint is strong enough.

Here is a good link on how to apply touch-up paint.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/80224-paint-clinic.html

If you scroll down, you will see Paint Chip & Scratch Repair.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.