Scratch X and Zymol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moab

Reaction score
Well after trying some other products to get the hood and roof on my Black KJ looking newer (hazy with a hint of graying) - 5 years of sun, road salt and baked on pollen - I tried some Scratch X. Wow now that cut through and really brought the roof and hood back to a nice black luster. There was also a heavy film on the moon roof glass that the other products I tried just weren't cutting. One try with the Scratch X and the glass is clear again. I followed the polish with Zymol wax. On to the sides and tail gate tomorrow. I had a night cookout to crash...
I would have finished the Liberty today but I worked on my wifes Explorer for most the day - Man that thing looks sweet now. If shes happy I'm Happy:D
If you're having problems getting the finish to smooth out clear up for wax try
Scratch X - It worked for me. And the Zymol really brought back a nice reflection.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zymol's the best was I've ever used. That is all.

Moab

Reaction score
Zymol is awesome but if the finish need some clearity, or hazing & weathering removed - the scratch X really preps up the surface to a nice glow to follow with the Zymol. It really worked in the aged black so I thought I'd pass on the results.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be careful using it too much though. I've always been under the impression that ScratchX is a mild version of a buffing compound. Although it can be effective, using it excessively could also remove the clear coat from your vehicle.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought Scratch X was non abrasive?

The description on Meguiars shows it as using "microabrasives." That gives me the impression that it is simply a reduced strength version of a rubbing compound with less cut.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything, I repeat anything that removes scratches is essentially taking small amounts of surface material off. So yes, eventually the clearcoat can be worn through.

Moab

Reaction score
I've used Scratch X to get out imperfections on vintage guitars and it works very well. It has such a light abrasive property that it is pretty safe if used with common sense. It really brought back the shine on the roof of my Black Liberty. Followed with the Zymol and it looks great.

Latest posts

Members online