Sand pit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's some pics of an attempted recovery by me and my liberty of a 2WD Dakota. This whole area is deep sand so I'm sitting on the exact stuff he got stuck in. Needless to say as light as I could be on the throttle, I still ended up burying the Liberty until it was stuck, but a few seconds of digging by hand and it was free. We tried to dig and push his Dakota out and managed to move it about 15 feet backwards (downhill), but we got too tired and with another 50+ feet to go he called a recovery tow truck. I left so I didn't get to see the recovery winching, but he wasn't there the next morning.
The kid works at a nearby construction site with his uncle, his uncle borrowed the truck to go get lunch and decided to cut across this undeveloped subdivision lot, burying it REAL deep. He didn't tell the kid until the end of the day when he caught a ride with another worker. He tossed the key to the kid while pointing "your truck's over there", then took off (nice guy). When I showed up the kid had been there for almost an hour and managed to dig out all around the truck, but was exhausted. The pic of the rear wheel is after we had dug out the sand quite a bit and was no longer sitting on the frame. Notice the wall of sand beside the wheel, that was how deep it was prior to digging, when we dug, we flung the sand aside to fill in the holes he had dug

You must be registered for see images

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
especko said:
are those revo's on that dakota?

They do not look like it.

Why didnt you pull it down the hill? In that situation, its best to try and jack the truck up. Put the jack on something like a board and put rocks or something under the wheel. O:)

Whats with all the sand in the middle of no where anyway? :-s

2003KJ

Reaction score
especko said:
are those revo's on that dakota?

Those are the 693's...another version of the Dueler A/T.

I'd be draggin the a-hole who got my truck stuck back to the site and standin there while he busts his ass to get it unstuck if it were me in that situation. You're a nice fella to give a hand using your KJ.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
What kind of tires do you have? Did you air down? Were you in 4LO?

I didn't air down, I had no way of re-filling without driving to the nearest gas station on the aired-down tires (not a great idea IMO). As for 4-LO, I used it, and it might have been how I got buried so quickly... too much torque too fast. IMO I should've tried 4-Part-time first and kept the revs low.

I didn't pull him back down the hill because I couldn't make it close enough to him. You'd have to see the situation to understand, but he was over 60 feet up the incline (from the lower flat part), and had dug such ruts in that as much as I tried to approach from the bottom, I kept getting bogged down and I didn't want to get stuck again. He only needed to move about 15 feet more forward (uphill) and he probably could've got out of the rest of the sand. That's a 30 foot strap on there (3 in. wide... something like 27,000lb breaking strength) and I still had to get in the sand to hook him up (and got stuck anyways).

jeepjeepster said:
Why didnt you pull it down the hill? In that situation, its best to try and jack the truck up. Put the jack on something like a board and put rocks or something under the wheel. O:)

Whats with all the sand in the middle of no where anyway? :-s

Actually we were able to dig under the tires and jam a 2x6 under each rear tire. Problem was as soon as he gave it any throttle it would slip sideways off the boards, remember the Dak is only 2WD and was having trouble "dragging" the front wheels backwards. For the record the 2x6 was 16 feet long and with our hands we broke it into 2 eight foot lengths (I sometimes impress myself!)

As for why there's so much sand?! The glaciers left it.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been putting together an off-road kit in a duffle bag that I can move from either Jeep. Included is a $15 electric air pump (plugs into the cig. lighter). Just thought I would mention that, as it's good to carry.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
I've been putting together an off-road kit in a duffle bag that I can move from either Jeep. Included is a $15 electric air pump (plugs into the cig. lighter). Just thought I would mention that, as it's good to carry.

Always a good plan! The Liberty goes back to the gf now, so I'm back in my 97 Neon (pile-o-trash). Only thing I need to carry in the Neon is a good pair of walking shoes, and to keep the cellphone charged. But I must admit it was fun having the Liberty for a month, when people pissed me off, it was nice to just go around them no matter where that meant. (whistle) With the Neon, I'm restricted to on-road travel only sad2.gif