Rusting Rocker Rails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rusting Rockers

Has anyone had this happen to their kj? Ive meticulously taken care of my kj and wouldnt you know it, i have paint bubbling on the rockers. The passenger side is far worse than the drivers side. There is no way im going to put down the money to have them cut out and welded back in.

Ive bought a hose that i can slide into the holes where the plastic clips and ive bought some fluid film. Ive read nothing but good reviews for this stuff and its not all that expensive. My local autozone has it for $8 a can but you can often find deals on ebay. There is a deal now that works out to $6 or so per can if you buy a case of 6. Ive done my passenger side and quickly used a can so i think ill end up using 4 cans. Im going to take all of the door panels off and spray the bottoms of the door seams from inside the doors. Figure with the doors, rockers, and other random areas like inside the frame rails, ill use around 4 cans. Once ive done that, im going to sand and coat the rockers in bed liner. Ill probably quickly spray the inside of the rockers once a year to hopefully stop the rust.

Ive coated the rust in grease, which did nothing but make a mess. That makes it look worse. The issue with these rockers is there isnt a good way to spray them out. They have small slits as drains. Had I known this i wouldve sprayed them with fluid film years ago.

You must be registered for see images attach

Several of the holes had something blocking them, so the hose wouldnt go in. Others were very tight but i was able to spray the inside of the rockers in both directions.

Ive been researching other products for rust prevention and how to stop it. I think im going to go for eastwood products on my 1994 zj. It has areas of minor to moderate corrosion around the bottoms of the doors and the rocker areas. Im going to use there frame spray and rust encapsulator to hopefully stop that. Ive rear their products go on sale so ill most likely wait till i catch them on sale.

Last edited:

jake1234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2005 shows some bubbling. It seems worse on the bottom of the door. It seems to be confined to the passenger side only, idk how it happens to only the passenger side but it seems to be a common issue.

capeKJ

Reaction score
I had this exact same issue on 02. I ended up buying a replacement rocker panel online (I don't remember where but I just used google search) and having the rusted area cut out and the new panel glued/patched over it then repainted etc. Its held up pretty good and you cant tell the difference. Probably not as structurally sound as actually welding in new metal but for a 12 yr old liberty that doesn't go offroad much it does the job

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have also found more rust on the passengers side, so I went and ground down the rust and used POR15 to permanently stop the rust.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, i would put my detailing skills up against anyone. That is something that i pride myself in and certainly know how to do it.

This is most certainly not from rock chips. Its rusting internally, i can see it through the drain holes. Plus rust was coming out when the fluid film was dripping out. Several areas are bubbling with no rock chip in sight.

Jasonwd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this exact same issue on 02. I ended up buying a replacement rocker panel online (I don't remember where but I just used google search) and having the rusted area cut out and the new panel glued/patched over it then repainted etc. Its held up pretty good and you cant tell the difference. Probably not as structurally sound as actually welding in new metal but for a 12 yr old liberty that doesn't go offroad much it does the job

Out of interest (and our poor Quebec KJ) can you give more details/photos; also how much it cost?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think 05's have plastic rockers, I'm pretty sure it's just a cover over the real rocker panel. Helps with rock chips I suppose.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure there's anything that can be done to prevent the rocker panels from rusting out just delay the inevitable.

I've just replaced mine, despite my best efforts of touching up the blistering paint it still rusted out from the inside.
I know that I'll eventually have to repair them again. Maybe I'll replace the entire rocker panels with rock sliders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.