rust problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gabegt90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't find the right place to put this but I'm just wondering if you guys have had any rust problems with your kj's yet My mom 's was started to rust on the tailgate at the edge and surface rust under the rear body near the tank
I've fixed the rust on the tailgate let me know guys

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, but mine's an 05. I don't imagine they use a lot of salt on the roads down there either. Maby a couple of people with earlier models will chime in.

I see you are in Damascus. I drive through there once in a while to get to my Son's place in Boyds. I usually stop there for gas. Nice little town.

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank god no rust so far, but the_titan had rust on his roof because of overtightened screw.
I have a lot of rust underbody, though.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's all that scar? Is before you fixing it, scraped off the sides to cover them up?

gabegt90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah that was before I fixed it just wanted to see how far the rust was spread
I don't really have the best tools for rust repair I used a flat edge I was really careful Then I sanded the best I could

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
carfax time

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had mine at the dealership twice for rust repairs. The largest was in the engine bay, below the battery. I've also had problems around the cargo area, but my problem was at the bottom of the door opening. Seems like water sits on the weld and eats the paint up. Its also not as bad as gabegt90's yet, can't see it unless the rubber seal is off. I also plan on fixing it myself this time instead of taking it back to the dealership and losing it for another two weeks.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the rust coverage on Jeeps? is it 6/60k?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the rust coverage on Jeeps? is it 6/60k?

I think it's 100,000 miles (not sure) but it has 131,000 on it according to his sig.

Dave

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After I purchased my KJ, i found an old service order from a dealer underneath one of the seats. The service order was for warranty repair work to fix rust on the rear tailgate. Whoever did the work did an excellent job because i cant even tell where it was fixed, but i am guessing probably the same area as shown in the picture.

libertyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I opend my tailgate the other day and noticed rust on the seams of the body, the factory did a horrible job on that seam, I well post pics later on, Im taking it to the dealer in a few days for an oil change and peace of mind inspection, so I well tell them about it then, I no they well fix it free of charge because of the warrenty

Members online

No members online now.