rust dots and tar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I was hand cleaning my KJ, I found rust dots. Little speckles of what looks like rust along the doors. The hand cloth I used would not get them off. If I rubbed with my fingernail, the particles would come off but leave a small amount of residue. These are not rock scratches in the paint where rust came through from what I can tell. Not sure what it is. Anyone know what it might be and how to get the residue off?

Possible be sand from all of the rock/sand/pebbles they have poured onto the roads and driveways around here?

While I am in this post, I also have quite a bit of tar. Best remover?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the rust spots they sound like they are "rail dust".It's the particles from the rail cars brakes that get imbedded in the paint,best way to remove is to buff the area with a mechanical buffer and rubbing compound.As for the tar I use laquar thinner,works great.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tjkj2002 said:
As far as the rust spots they sound like they are "rail dust".It's the particles from the rail cars brakes that get imbedded in the paint,best way to remove is to buff the area with a mechanical buffer and rubbing compound.As for the tar I use laquar thinner,works great.

actually a better way to remove the brake dust is to use a decontamination wash, or simply use a wheel cleaner and scrub the paint with a bug sponge. it works a lot easier, and then you can just re wax your car.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to clay the paint to remove the rail rust Tokyo. O:)

Ive never had any brake dust on my rims. \:D/ I know I have either Ceramic pads or Metallic. Ive seen so many threads that say other wise, Im not sure what I have. 8-[

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tokyojoe1965 said:
Hmmm......3 different answers.
I know you are not talking about the KJ wheel brake dust but the rust spots on your doors.It's called "rail dust" it's from the rail cars that the KJ's where transported on,when the train hits the brakes the brakes shoots up fine metal particles that are super heated and enbed in the paint.After awhile the metal particles start to rust,a clay bar can help but takes forever,use a buffer and course rubbing compound to get ride of it fast.Be carefull with the coures rubbing compound cause it will eat the paint real quick,just a few quick passes with the buffer will do.Better yet there probally is a TSB for rail dust,most vehicles do and the rust warrenty may cover the repairs.Might be worth checking out.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tjkj2002 said:
Tokyojoe1965 said:
I know you are not talking about the KJ wheel brake dust but the rust spots on your doors.It's called "rail dust" it's from the rail cars that the KJ's where transported on,when the train hits the brakes the brakes shoots up fine metal particles that are super heated and enbed in the paint.After awhile the metal particles start to rust,a clay bar can help but takes forever,use a buffer and course rubbing compound to get ride of it fast.Be carefull with the coures rubbing compound cause it will eat the paint real quick,just a few quick passes with the buffer will do.Better yet there probally is a TSB for rail dust,most vehicles do and the rust warrenty may cover the repairs.Might be worth checking out.

cars will continue to get rail dust or what most detailers call "brake dust" even after they have been delievered. This is a common problem with light colored vehicles. I occurs from everyday driving, and they look like little orange rust colored spots, but what it is, is actually small particles of metal. This is the main reason why i recommend cleaning with a deconamination wash like with a wheel cleaner. You can also clay the vehicle like what blake said. i have never heard of someone just buffing a vehicle to remove the rail dust, i would rather remove it first then risk grinding it into my paint.

there are always multiple ways of doing things.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
especko said:
tjkj2002 said:
Tokyojoe1965 said:

cars will continue to get rail dust or what most detailers call "brake dust" even after they have been delievered. This is a common problem with light colored vehicles. I occurs from everyday driving, and they look like little orange rust colored spots, but what it is, is actually small particles of metal. This is the main reason why i recommend cleaning with a deconamination wash like with a wheel cleaner. You can also clay the vehicle like what blake said. i have never heard of someone just buffing a vehicle to remove the rail dust, i would rather remove it first then risk grinding it into my paint.

there are always multiple ways of doing things.
Well when I worked at a bodyshop(GM) there was a TSB for rail dust on all the GM line up and the only approved fix was to buff the vehicle,I have done many,mostly white vehicles and it was covered under warrenty till I think 100,00 mile corrosion warrenty.The clay bar is going to be labor intensive and the bar will hold the particles further scratching the paint.

shadow3612

Reaction score
You can also try Lamp Oil (scented kerosene) for the tar as well as sap etc however i've found buffing the paint w/a light compound works well for the other imperfections just use this with caution because it will cause swirling in the paint if you try this apply directionally.

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about taking it to the dealer and complaining about it since it is an obvious issue before the purchase of the vehicle.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Best tar remover......WD-40. Spray it on a paper towel and rub it on the paint. Then take a dry paper towel and rub off as much you can once the tar is off. Then go on about washing the vehicle (the rest of the WD-40 residue should come off with the soap you use to wash, but you might have to go over the areas you use it on a couple of times).

Works every time for me...

I've also found that for "spot cleaning", the armor all (as much as I hate their products) wipes that are meant for plastic surfaces (the ones that come in the purple container) work pretty well too.