Rust, and warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was waxing the Jeep today and noticed the paint is starting to bubble on the right side of my third brake light. Not cool at all on something as new as this.
You must be registered for see images

My question is how long is the rust warranty, and does it apply only to the original owner or all owners for the time/milage period. Mine is an '03 with 56k miles.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's terrible. I hope it is covered under warranty.

libertyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes its under warrenty my 03 did the same thing and the dealer fixed it hassle free, I saw a 05 that had rust worse then that in the same spot, just call the dealership, keep us posted

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, I will give them a call on Monday. When they fixed it, what did they paint? I would rather it not be a spot job, and would like to see the entire roof painted between the rails from front to back instead of them trying to blend it in.

libertyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not to sure, but I cant even tell that they fixed it, look in your manual under rust I belive it says 6 years, either way dont worry about it they will take care of it

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, I will give them a call on Monday. When they fixed it, what did they paint? I would rather it not be a spot job, and would like to see the entire roof painted between the rails from front to back instead of them trying to blend it in.
They will grind the rust off,prime it,sand the entire roof with 600 grit sand paper(to ruff up the clear coat),paint the primered area with the correct paint and fadout a few inches,then reapply clearcoat to the entire roof.Standard fix,they won't repaint the whole roof with the basecoat unless it was replaced or over 50% was fixed and primered.

libertyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not the origanl owner either just call them monday and let us no how it went

gr8scott

Reaction score
I have an '02 with some rust in the same spot. I'll be very interested in how the dealership handles this. I'm not the original owner either.

libertyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how did you make out at the dealership? keep us posted

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually didn't get to the dealership until today. I took it in, and the body shop looked at it and took pics, and didn't seem to think it would be a problem getting it fixed under warranty, but they had to submit the photos and other info to Chrysler. They're supposed to get back to me either this afternoon or tomorrow to let me know what's going on. One of the guys did say that they would not want to replace the roof, and would probably only be able to spot fix it, and he think that it would eventually come back. He said Chrysler has really gotten strict with paint repair. I basically told him that if they're recognizing the problem, then they should do what they need to do to repair it, not put a band-aid on it until it's out of warranty. I probably won't own it by the time it comes back anyway. *shrug*

libertyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya thats what the dealership told me to (that it would eventually come back) I think its totally BS, but like you I will only have mine hopefully for a few more month and buy the 08 Liberty

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya thats what the dealership told me to (that it would eventually come back) I think its totally BS, but like you I will only have mine hopefully for a few more month and buy the 08 Liberty

They had a lot of those at the dealer today, I was out on the lot looking at trucks before I went into service and I ventured over to look at the new Liberties. I still haven't seen any out on the road yet though.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually didn't get to the dealership until today. I took it in, and the body shop looked at it and took pics, and didn't seem to think it would be a problem getting it fixed under warranty, but they had to submit the photos and other info to Chrysler. They're supposed to get back to me either this afternoon or tomorrow to let me know what's going on. One of the guys did say that they would not want to replace the roof, and would probably only be able to spot fix it, and he think that it would eventually come back. He said Chrysler has really gotten strict with paint repair. I basically told him that if they're recognizing the problem, then they should do what they need to do to repair it, not put a band-aid on it until it's out of warranty. I probably won't own it by the time it comes back anyway. *shrug*
Time to find a better dealership bodyshop,if properly done the rust will not return(no replacement of the roof skin is required either to do properly).

libertyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did they ever call you back to tell you what there going to do about?

Latest posts

Members online