Run of the mill suspension question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ag0177

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty. Can anyone point me in the right direction on a how to section for replacing my struts? Just a run of the mill strut replacement. I'm not lifting or adding spacers, I just need a rundown on how to remove and install new struts. Also, is it recommended to replace the control arm w/ the ball joints when doing the front suspension.

Thanks

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty. Can anyone point me in the right direction on a how to section for replacing my struts? Just a run of the mill strut replacement. I'm not lifting or adding spacers, I just need a rundown on how to remove and install new struts. Also, is it recommended to replace the control arm w/ the ball joints when doing the front suspension.

Thanks

First, go to your local Jeep dealer and have them run your VIN to see if the upper control arms have been replaced under the Chrysler recall. Depending on where you live yours may or may not be subject to the recall. If they haven't been replaced now is probably a good time since the ball joints can't be replaced separately from the UCA.

Second, here is a link to the How-To for a full spring and shock replacement. It's more than you asked for but you can pick and choose what you need to do your job.

You should SERIOUSLY consider replacing your springs at the same time as the front shocks (they're shocks, not struts) because you have to remove the entire assembly at the same time anyway - i.e., remove the spring from the coil-over shock to replace the shock. Do yourself a huge favor and replace the spring and the shock both - you'll be amazed at the difference. Do a search of the Lift Kit section to get the part numbers for the replacement OME springs. (DO NOT get factory replacements...)

You can replace the rear springs and shocks easily at a later date when you have the funds and/or time. Probably less than an hour job.

Good luck!

Bob

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Rockauto.com has complete replacement strut assembly for $78, a quick,no hassle way to if no lift is wanted.