Royal Purple Synthetic Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theblueliberty

Reaction score
i've been raving about this stuff ever since a freind of mine recommended it and i replaced it with the usual cheveron mineral oil. this stuff is kinda expensive. about $7 a quart, plus an oil filter comes out to around $45. but this stuff is just sooo amazing! i may not be getting much horsepower out of it, but i recently installed a lift kit and big tires and my gas milage shot through the floor. i needed an oil change though and started using this sythetic oil and i get the same gas milage i did back when i was all stock!!! the best part about this stuff, is that the oil is actually purple!!!! haha, amazing!

Royal Purple Synthetic Oil - about $7 a quart
does improve some very minor performance but signifigant to gas milage (at least in my situation).
Can be found at your favorite local auto parts store such as: Shuck's, Pep Boys, Parts Plus, NAPA Auto parts, or whatever you happen to have in your area.

RATING: 9.5

WARNING: once you switch to synthetic oils, you can never return to mineral (aka regular) oil! doing so could cause catestrophic damage to your engine! so if you switch, be prepared to spend a pretty penny on your oil changes from then on.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WARNING: once you switch to synthetic oils, you can never return to mineral (aka regular) oil! doing so could cause catestrophic damage to your engine! so if you switch, be prepared to spend a pretty penny on your oil changes from then on.

That is totally false,just think about it they have synthetic blend oils,half dino and have synthetic,they mix and you can freely switch from one to the other with no ill effects.That is a statment created by the oil company's to keep you buying the pricy stuff.

Oh and RP has a high moly content that is real bad for the tighter tolerance newer engines like the KJ uses,great gear oil though but the engine oil is harmful because of the high moly content.

theblueliberty

Reaction score
really? i'd be more inclined to believe you. cause i wouldn't at all be suprised if they were like that. my bad! the shop i work at has always aggressivly stood against changing back to mineral. and we'll see how my engine takes it. if it konks out, then it konks out.

theblueliberty

Reaction score
well, there's something i didn't know. but i did check with my master-tech, co-worker and he said any non-defective synthetic oil would do good for any engine. nothing negative but a hefty price tag would have any negative effects.

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is totally false,just think about it they have synthetic blend oils,half dino and have synthetic,they mix and you can freely switch from one to the other with no ill effects.That is a statment created by the oil company's to keep you buying the pricy stuff.

Oh and RP has a high moly content that is real bad for the tighter tolerance newer engines like the KJ uses,great gear oil though but the engine oil is harmful because of the high moly content.

I dissagree and have seen proof of just the opposite. Once your seals, gaskets and bearings get used to synthetic if you go back to convensonal oil you will get oil leaks and the seals will not hold oil as well. Caused the early death of my old Neon. I had it and ran Castrol full synth, traded it to my dad and he threw the cheapest oil he could find in it and within a couple months it started leaking oil. Right before we rebuilt it, it was leaking a qaurt of oil ever 500 miles. After pulling the motor apart you could see the damage the seals, gaskets and bearings had on them.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dissagree and have seen proof of just the opposite. Once your seals, gaskets and bearings get used to synthetic if you go back to convensonal oil you will get oil leaks and the seals will not hold oil as well. Caused the early death of my old Neon. I had it and ran Castrol full synth, traded it to my dad and he threw the cheapest oil he could find in it and within a couple months it started leaking oil. Right before we rebuilt it, it was leaking a qaurt of oil ever 500 miles. After pulling the motor apart you could see the damage the seals, gaskets and bearings had on them.
That was called old age of seals and gaskets,happens to all engines no matter what oil is used.More so with the cheaper gaskets being used today,actually the lack of gaskets which are now really just big rubber o-rings that harden with age and high heat,no way around that at all no matter what oil you use.

Oh and noens are pretty bad a leaking oil fairly early.

You kinda got it reversed,if you have been running just plain dino oil for lets say 100,000miles then you switch to full synthetic you are asking for problems.The reason is by nature full synthetic oil natually cleans better then dino oil and the switch to synthetic will clean all the built up gunk that is currently blocking a leak and after about the 2nd-3rd oil change leaks will start forming from the removeal of that build up that was keeping your engine from leaking.

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was called old age of seals and gaskets,happens to all engines no matter what oil is used.More so with the cheaper gaskets being used today,actually the lack of gaskets which are now really just big rubber o-rings that harden with age and high heat,no way around that at all no matter what oil you use.

Oh and noens are pretty bad a leaking oil fairly early.

You kinda got it reversed,if you have been running just plain dino oil for lets say 100,000miles then you switch to full synthetic you are asking for problems.The reason is by nature full synthetic oil natually cleans better then dino oil and the switch to synthetic will clean all the built up gunk that is currently blocking a leak and after about the 2nd-3rd oil change leaks will start forming from the removeal of that build up that was keeping your engine from leaking.

Possibly all true. I am not a engine or oil engineer i am just sharing what i have seen first hand. I know that switching oils either way can cause oil leaks and gasket/o ring degradation. Just trying to help the topic with first hand accounts. :D

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just what exactly is synthetic oil made of?

Well, it depends. The three most common types are Groups III, IV, and V.

Group III is called "synthetic", but is actually just a highly refined mineral oil. That doesn't make it bad by any means.

Group IV is called PAO (polyalphaolefin). It is truly synthetic, or man-made.

Group V oils are esters. These are also synthetic.

Some synthetic oils may contain a blend of two or three of these. Also, base oil is not everything. The additive package is at least as important in overall oil performance.

Although it is not about synthetic oils in particular, there's a great article on the basics of oil formulation as the Article of the Month at BITOG.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62&Itemid=71

After reading it, check out the oil forums.

Liberty06

Reaction score
I have 32000 miles woudl it be bad to go to synthetic? Also Can you go longer in between changes with synth?

Liberty06

Reaction score
I had a Cherokee with 55000 on it..Used Synth blend..got a leak..went back to regular...
and wellah! No leaks after a week. Just my experience.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Synthetic oil will clean away any sludge that is keeping seals from leaking. It is best to start using it with a newer engine.

L

lil black liberty

I had 28K miles on mine when I went full synthetic however I don't use AMSOIL like a bunch of guys here I can't get it any where near me.. I use Quaker State Torque Synthetic Oil for 4x4, Suv, and Pickups..

Deviations

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What are the issues with Moly and a tighter tolerance engine? I read through the information from the website on the link in one of the other posts in this tread and there didn't seem to be any warnings against moly. Maybe I missed something?

oddball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 28K miles on mine when I went full synthetic however I don't use AMSOIL like a bunch of guys here I can't get it any where near me..

You can order from JJsKJ and the products will ship from the closest Amsoil distribution center / warehouse to you - or from HQ warehouse in Wisconsin.

I order from him and to date, everything has shipped quickly from the Chicago warehouse. You should PM him if you're interested in buying Amsoil products.

Deviations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the issues with Moly and a tighter tolerance engine? I read through the information from the website on the link in one of the other posts in this tread and there didn't seem to be any warnings against moly. Maybe I missed something?

BUMP this question please. I've googled the hell out of Moly and can't find anything that says moly should be avoided in any application whatsoever.

Help!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
BUMP this question please. I've googled the hell out of Moly and can't find anything that says moly should be avoided in any application whatsoever.

Help!

There is a site called "Bobistheoilguy" or something like that full of threads on anything about oil......probably more than you really want to know about any kind of oil.

Dave

Latest posts

Members online