Roof Rack w/ Tire Carrier and built-in LEDs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

streetsnake

Reaction score
Looking for a roof rack that has built in LEDs lights and potentially a place to mount a spare. Does anything like that exist that’ll work for the KK.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Have never seen anything like that for a KK
Plus have you ever had to lift a full size spare up into a roof rack ?
Not fun at all LOL
Time to find a good fab shop and have one built

streetsnake

Reaction score
Have never seen anything like that for a KK
Plus have you ever had to lift a full size spare up into a roof rack ?
Not fun at all LOL
Time to find a good fab shop and have one built
How about a good rack with lights? LOL

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
First where do you want the lights
sides, rear, where ?
Most racks are bare, meaning no lights since everyone wants them in different places
Then if you are wanting a spare tire up there , its going to be a heavier built rack with sides to hold the tire
Not an eflay / walmart special

streetsnake

Reaction score
First where do you want the lights
sides, rear, where ?
Most racks are bare, meaning no lights since everyone wants them in different places
Then if you are wanting a spare tire up there , its going to be a heavier built rack with sides to hold the tire
Not an eflay / walmart special
Lights at least on the front but maybe also rear. Its ok if I can’t mount the tire up there. Hopefully we’ll be able to get a bumper and rear bumper with swing away tire carrier Down the road.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lights on front are ok if using them to set up a camp or something when stopped
But on or off road basically worthless unless going very slow and then questionable
With lights up there in front you get a lot of dust/ particles that show up and make it hard to see forward
rear are good for backing up at times for sure though
of course others will have different view but that is what I have found over the last 50 years of having roof /rack mounted lights on some vehicles
I had a Rock Lizard full length with a included light bar , used it one time for about a miles, and once sitting up camp at midnight
the photo you see at the left had them on a shorter RL rack, they were wired but mainly for show and they were even back behind where sun roof would be

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Too bad that Rock Lizard isn't around anymore
He made one similar to the KJ one I had , but for a KK, on mine for a few years before I got his full length one
Mine on the right of course , wasn't a limb knocker, nice and low
You must be registered for see images attach

csiguru777

Reaction score
Looking for a roof rack that has built in LEDs lights and potentially a place to mount a spare. Does anything like that exist that’ll work for the KK.
I've had tire carriers in my roof before. Although it does free up space as opposed to carrying your full size spare in your cargo area, spare tires and rims are heavy. I still have a roof rack for lighter supplies, but I went with the Wilco tire carrier. I plan on adding some rotopax and a couple of me things to it later. Overall it is half the price of a ATH rear bumper and it is quiet as can be

Attachments

• 16442718392522802296048014764937.jpg
    16442718392522802296048014764937.jpg
    499 KB · Views: 10

csiguru777

Reaction score
I've had tire carriers in my roof before. Although it does free up space as opposed to carrying your full size spare in your cargo area, spare tires and rims are heavy. I still have a roof rack for lighter supplies, but I went with the Wilco tire carrier. I plan on adding some rotopax and a couple of me things to it later. Overall it is half the price of a ATH rear bumper and it is quiet as can be

Attachments

• 16442719553255591286348496259369.jpg
    16442719553255591286348496259369.jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 10

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AtTheHelm Fabrications used to make a KK roof rack. Sometimes they pop up for sale used on Craigslist or Ebay.

Here is mine.
You must be registered for see images attach
that looks like it's tucked nice and tight to the roof as well.
your roof antenna though, I'd snap off instantly if I pulled that into my garage. :D

EricNorton

Reaction score
I would not recommend putting the tire on top of the roof because it raises your vehicle's center of gravity there are options that can raise the tire up if it's the first thing hitting affects your departure angle without having to spend an arm or leg for a steel bumper. don't know if kk are as roll over prone though

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
that looks like it's tucked nice and tight to the roof as well.
your roof antenna though, I'd snap off instantly if I pulled that into my garage. :D
My roof rack sits pretty low. I clear the garage door by about an inch. Heaven help me if I go camping, come back tired, then try to pull into the garage. "Well, I guess I needed a new tent anyway..." (And sleeping bags, stove, coolers, and...)