Roof rack holes question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dirt Rich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noob question, but why are these holes drilled in the roof rack, and more importantly, can I mount fogs here if I drill the rest of the way through the bar?

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The holes are for the factory cross bars
and yes you can drill through but mounting lights there will not do much good, almost too far back and will hit everything you come to out that far.
Plus mounting fog lights up high like that is a huge waste! Fog lights have to be down as low as possible to work. Other wise you just have a light going everywhere doing nothing

Dirt Rich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nevermind, just realized that my Jeep would look like Mickey Mouse if I did that lol.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Even lights this big? I was thinking more along the lines of for off-road use, in addition to fogs mounted lower (below bumper area).

You must be registered for see images

If you want "Off road light up on your roof rack, get some driving beam, spot/pencil beam, or flood lamp beam pattern.

Fog lamps work best when mounted below the centre line of the headlamps so they can cut through below the fog, low to the road surface and illuminate directly in front and to the sides of a vehicle. Not to mention that from a legal point of view fog lamps are to be wired so they only operate with low beams. Regardless of their size, their beam pattern is designed to be very wide and not far throwing with a sharp horizontal beam cutoff so not much good if mounted up high on a roof rack.

Dirt Rich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want "Off road light up on your roof rack, get some driving beam, spot/pencil beam, or flood lamp beam pattern.

Fog lamps work best when mounted below the centre line of the headlamps so they can cut through below the fog, low to the road surface and illuminate directly in front and to the sides of a vehicle. Not to mention that from a legal point of view fog lamps are to be wired so they only operate with low beams. Regardless of their size, their beam pattern is designed to be very wide and not far throwing with a sharp horizontal beam cutoff so not much good if mounted up high on a roof rack.

Thank you, very informative!

opelboy

Reaction score
i dont think he meant to use them as fog lights. looks like he has some fog lights that he wants to mount up top just for after dark use, and yes it would look like a mickeymouse mobile :) haha

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
i dont think he meant to use them as fog lights. looks like he has some fog lights that he wants to mount up top just for after dark use, and yes it would look like a mickeymouse mobile :) haha

I understand.
But fog lights up high are not the best for projecting light long distance.
They do however make excellent cornering/peripheral lights to light up the
sides of roads and trails.

Latest posts

Members online